Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there any reason why Hobie uses a fiddle block while some of the aftermarket Aussie jib halyards have a double bullet block for the upper block? other than to reduce size/wind resistance?

What kind of load is on the jib halyard, would a 1200 lb Harken Micro block be ok with an Aussie halyard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd use a Harken 167 on the bottom and a 084 at the tang. Replace the sheet metal shackels with stronger pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie1616, I did some calculations using the Hobie catalog comparing your suggestion and Hobie's bundled system:

Hobie: $115
hobie1616: $162.50

I'm not questioning your wisdom, but I would like to know either where I went wrong, or, besides the cost, what is the difference between the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I think the motivation behind Hobie's stock system is price (as Skipshot pointed out - the stock system is significantly less expensive than all Harken blocks). There's no real reason to upgrade since the system isn't a "working" system, i.e. it's not being adjusted all the time. Most people hoist the jib, cleat it and forget it while they're sailing. Only racers will adjust it on the water.

That being said, I've run standard Harken bullet blocks for years with no problems. I'm not sure I would downsize to the micro blocks. Then again, I'm running with a 3 mm Swiftcord halyard that's more likely to break than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot wrote:
hobie1616, I did some calculations using the Hobie catalog comparing your suggestion and Hobie's bundled system:

Hobie: $115
hobie1616: $162.50

I'm not questioning your wisdom, but I would like to know either where I went wrong, or, besides the cost, what is the difference between the two.

Ya gets whatcha pays for (in most cases). I've used a lot of Harken stuff over the years. I've never suffered from a failure. Harken has an excellent worldwide reputation.

If/when you work on your car/truck/whatever, do you buy name parts (AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc) or do you save a few bucks and buy no name crap that’s produced in China and hope it works?

Your original question did not specify price as a parameter for consideration. If it had, I wouldn't have answered. Sailing, in general, is an expensive sport as there's a lot of hardware involved. Hobie, specifically, has a high initial price but if you spend your money on the right equipment the first time, your reoccurring expenses will be quite low.

JMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with the harken aussie setup over this past winter and am very happy with it. BTW, I went with 4mm amsteel for my jib halyard and it works great. That stuff is really tough!

Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

btw, i went with these

HAR2637 Harken 40 mm Carbo Single / Swivel / Becket

HAR2655 Harken Carbo Fiddle 40 mm
latr

cory