Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the stripes are sound, just faded, you can paint over them. I have an '86 that had black, black, gray stripes. I used painter's tape (three times for three different colors) and rattle can enamel to paint over them. If I decide I don't like them, I'll just peel them off. Leaving the existing stripes made it easy to tape and get a good straight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks pretty dang good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
That looks pretty dang good!

Thanks. I wish I had picked different colors, though.

Now I just need to clean my hulls and get some gel coat on the repaired spot above the trailer cross bar- by the location of the repair I suspect it was the trailer that made the boo boo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those stripes ARE nice. Mine are curled and flaking, so I guess its the hair drier and acetone for me. Anyone try "Sticker Shock"? It's for removing bumper stickers from cars. I might go to the auto store and see what the instructions say (If anything) about fiberglass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used tar and adhesive remover from A.I.M chemicals and it worked perfect. I sprayed a good amount on them and then used a razor blade to get them off. It took about 15 to get both sides off. I pass the get the stripe off then another to get the glue off. Really simple. Just be careful with the blade. I'm in the car business and I've been taking off the dealership stickers with them for years so I knew the right angle to use. Once I was done I washed down both hulls and called it a day. The bad part is you can still see where the stripes were. I suggest replacing them once you get them off. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used a heat gun on mine, but I painted so replacement was not an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, I'm S-L-O-W-L-Y picking, peeling, and scratching away . Port hull almost done. The striping on this boat was 1/4" tape with light blue at the top, then dark blue, purple, red and orange, encased within a thin black boarder except at the ends where the black taping is large to "cap" off the striping run. (The only color that didn't fade too bad was the dark blue). At the back end of the striping runs were "Hobie Cat" in 2.5" white letters. I'm deciding on weather to stay original or go for something else. The original striping looks really nice (Under the black end caps), but it's just a little too close to one of those rainbow stickers for my comfort...not that there's anything wrong with that :roll: .
I'll have time to decide. I probably could't find those old "Hobie Cat" stickers anyway. The weekend is fast approaching and I'm going to have to give up buffing the hulls and peeling the striping after today so I can get her ready to go out.