Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess size does matter...

After posting my previous message about planning a night sail, I headed out Tuesday afternoon. It was a good sail and was showing a new crew member how to steer, the ranger boat came up along side of us. They told me that it was past sunset and I didn't have a light up. I explained that I had a flashlight. He asked to see it and upon producing it he laughed saying it was too small.

I asked him what the proper size was and he said the law didn't specify. He proceeded to show me his surefire and it barely lit up my sail any more than mine. The night was still very bright so of course no light is really going to light up the sail.

I pointed this fact out to him and said that the law says I need a light to be seen 360 degrees. In the end he told us to get off the lake because "this type of boat" doesn't belong out on the lake at night.

After getting the $90 ticket, I made my way into shore and called it a night.

Personally, I think it's BS and I'll go to court and hope he either doesn't show up or if I could convince the judge otherwise.

So, I guess I'll be looking for some type of solution that will satisfy the rangers. Maybe a mast light wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Anyone have a good idea for something "foolproof" so I don't get another ticket?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Anyone have a good idea for something "foolproof" so I don't get another ticket?

Don't go sailing after dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bah, I cant think of many things I enjoy more then being on the water at night. So peaceful.

I'd fight your ticket. That sounds absurd, I'd imaging after making the commitment of pulling you over, he planned on finding something to ticket you for regardless. Not to mention, the law is not up for interpretation. Least of all by someone who is enforcing it. I would get an exact copy of the law that's on the books and see if you were following it. For instance, if the law said:

All watercraft must be painted blue.

and you received a ticket for your boat being too light of a shade of blue, then tech you were within the law. Judges take this very seriously, they don't write the law, the only determine if you were within it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/2634.asp

"A sailing vessel of less than 7 metres in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraphs (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. "

Interesting for you is d) i (boats under 7m).

These are international rules, they are the norm throughout international waters and all european regions.

I guess they also represent the american law.

What the guy told was wrong, not even the brightness is written there, only "white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision"

Hope you wont have to pay the idiot.

Nice Evening
Chriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is what Iowa boating laws say (http://www.iowadnr.com/law/files/boat2003.pdf)

Unpowered Vessels When Underway
Unpowered vessels are sailboats or those that are paddled,
poled and rowed.

â—† If less than 65.6 ft. (20 meters) long, these vessels must
exhibit the lights as shown in figure 2:
• Red and green sidelights visible from at least 2 miles
(or if less than 39.4 ft. long, at least 1 mile)
• A sternlight visible from at least 2 miles.

If less than 23.0 ft. (7 meters) long, these vessels:
• If practical, must exhibit the same lights as required for
unpowered vessels listed above
• If not practical, must have on hand at least one lantern
or flashlight shining a white light as shown in figure 3.

Figure 3 shows a flashlight shown on the sail.

I've almost thought of making a mount for a battery powered stern light that could go on the top of the mast when I step it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Whelp, it looks a bit "grey" who determines what is "practical". I know there are a couple lawyers who post on this forum, perhaps they can offer more then my poli-sci 101 opinion.

Post subject: Proper nav lights?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Proper nav lights?

The running light should have a glowing cap / dome on it. That is the 360 degree issue. A flash light shown in the direction of an oncoming boat is easy to see, but from the side or back... it is invisible.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... tRules.htm

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To have all bassis covered,

Put a 225 degree light at the top of your mast

Red light at the bow of your left hull, green light at the bow of your right hull

180 degree sternlight.

12v battery, 10 1.5v LED's per light will be more than bright enough. Keep a good flashlight on board as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You were within the law, don't pay them! And as for the comment saying "boats like this shouldn't be on the water at night"... thats just his opinion, it's not the law.

I have a friend who sailed his cat at night all the time... he did the flashlight thing and never had a problem with the cops.

"if practical".. yeah um.. you have 2 hulls and a trampoline, rigging full lights is never going to be practical on a 16. Flashlight to the sail is the only practical solution and you had that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Barren wrote:
You were within the law, don't pay them! And as for the comment saying "boats like this shouldn't be on the water at night"... thats just his opinion, it's not the law.

I have a friend who sailed his cat at night all the time... he did the flashlight thing and never had a problem with the cops.

"if practical".. yeah um.. you have 2 hulls and a trampoline, rigging full lights is never going to be practical on a 16. Flashlight to the sail is the only practical solution and you had that.

Dont you have to have red and green lights on while under way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the encouragement. I still might try to get some type of lights for the mast so I can keep them off my back.

I think the law differs from state to state, but in Iowa, the law reads that I only needed to have a flashlight.

I'll keep you guys informed if I go to court...

Post subject: lights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You were completely legal; I'd fight it (politely). Don't know if you were safe or not; different issue.

Lot of drunk boaters out at night, and the drunk power boaters are moving a lot faster than the drunk sailors. Hard to see ANY lights against a populated shoreline (house lights, dock lights, cars, etc). We require running lights for our night races in the Bay, and most people just use those flashlight deals with the split red/green lens. Lighting up the sail doesn't do any good for someone approaching head on/away from the sail; all they can see is a sliver of it. I think the best thing is one of those big rechargeable spotlights; if they don't see you lit up, they will definitely see someone who lights THEM up :-) Kind of big and arkward to carry, though.