Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm know I'm not the first or last: Could M Miller or somebody please post more info regarding rigging H16 to minimize pitchpoling? Specifically regarding mast rake, jib setup, tramp tension, etc.

I am inland MI lake sailing on a 80's boat with slightly newer comptip. It rides fairly well with 1 person, and I can fly a hull without TOO many worries. If I add a crew member + moderate wind, I can watch the downwind pontoon ride lower and lower as I fall off into a reach. I've been able to bury the nose in moderate wind (~15 mph) and had a couple of dramatic 'catapult' pitchpoles last year while flying a hull in higher wind. It feels like maybe my jib is overpowering the boat, but it doesn't fix the problem if I slide my jib cars outboard. Compared to on-line videos or other Hobie sailors that I see on the water, it just seems like my boat isn't performing at nearly the level that it should.

Help! It's no fun being timid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
There can be a lot of reasons but there needs to be more info to making an effort to determine what the problem might be, other than the boat's natural propensity to pitchpole. One thing I can say is "if your mast is not raked, rake it." That alone made a big difference in my boats performance. I no longer sit on the rear crossbar in fear. :roll: I can bring the transons (sp) out of the water without worrying about the bows going under. Just being able to do that makes the boat go faster. I've had my boat a few years now and I'm still tuning.

David

Last edited by DavidBell47 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

John - what lake are you on? I may be able to hook you up with somebody to look things over.

Post subject: lake
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I keep my boat on Duck lake, north of Albion. I work a little farther west in Kalamazoo.
I have no trailer, yet. I've been thinking that I should get a trailor and take my boat over to MidWest Sailing in Pinkney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

:lol: I'm in the process of selling one of my trailers to a guy in K-zoo.

Since you work in the K-zoo area, you should hook up with Hobie Fleet 519 that sails on Austin Lake. They have Tuesday night races throughout the summer.

Their website is http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Dropzone/6199/.

You don't have to bring your boat - they're always looking for crew. There are some very experienced sailors on that lake and you can learn a lot just by hanging out with them.

If you manage to get your boat to Midwest Sailing, let me know & I'll try to meet you there. Michael, Rick and Mike are great people to work with and if you need any bits & pieces, they're available right then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt speaking of Kalamazoo MI.Do you ever here of Greg Smith anymore.He came down to our Canadian Nationals at Kingston in 86(part of Cork) and kicked butt.I know he has also won some D.N. ice worlds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I haven't heard from Greg in years. I think he's into keel boats now. Rumor was he had some health issues that kept him out of Hobies for a number of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What year is your boat? There were some changes made to the standing rigging in 1983 (or so) to allow for more mast rake and thus shift some power aft, thus reducing pitchpoles - the shrouds were shortened and the forestay was lengthened. Also, according to the collective knowledge on this forum, Hobie changed the cut of the jib in 2000 to accomodate more aft mast rake. I found this out the hard way on my '81 16. In replacing an unraveled shroud with new ones I did not know to order a new forestay, which meant the old forestay wouldn't reach the bridle adjuster.

Then, after receiving the new forestay and raking the mast, the original (and recently blown) jib didn't perform properly, so I backed off a little on the mast rake, which put the boat to near-pitch pole status again.

Then, with the increased mast rake came increased weather helm on the rudders, and the upper castings are the old, unadjustable ones, so I need to either re-drill the current rudders or buy new ones, or buy new upper castings.

Had I known all this before making the purchase I would have shopped around some more.

Post subject: my setup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your experience is greatly appreciated! My boat is an ’83.
The forestay is definitely on the short end (about 17’0â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. In your case order all new standing rigging first, and I'm sure Hobie has only one length. As for the rudders, if money is an issue, first try re-drilling the upper hole in the rudders (fill the old holes with Marine-Tex or something like it), and if you get it right the first time then you're laughing. Search this forum for how to measure the new hole. If not, then maybe getting the adjustable upper castings will make you happy.

Don't forget that if you have the original jib it may not perform as well with the increased mast rake (you should notice the head luffing more).