Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Singlehand sailing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a a H16 and would like to know what adjustments to rigging that may be required to sail with main only. Does anybody single with main and jib ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Singlehand sailing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Robert Britton wrote:
I just bought a a H16 and would like to know what adjustments to rigging that may be required to sail with main only. Does anybody single with main and jib ?

Thanks

I wouldn't even think about going out without a jib.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love sailing the 16 solo. A group of guys I've sailed with a few times kind of allmost have an unspoken rule that when they go out, they go solo. It's a blast by yourself, maybe a little hectic at times, but great fun. You'll definately want the jib when you sail. It really helps the boat tack by backwinding the jib. This helps the bows come around and prevents you from going into irons, or it's supposed to at least. I still blow a tack every once in a while, the 16 can be a hard boat to turn sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 16 would be a blast solo, I have only been on one once but it was a blast. The 5.2 that I sail in also a blast and the 16 should be really close to it when soloing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have learned to sail by sailing solo and now I sail solo 95% of the time, except for the occasional crew I pick up on the beach. Most of the time, I actually prefer sailing solo. I like the challenge, especially in high winds. I learn more about my boat and the many times I've capsized in the process has helped. Sometimes I feel like I am "one" with the boat. Sometimes it's difficult to sail well even with an experienced crew unless you're "one" with each other. I have a crew like that but we rarely get a chance to sail together. :cry: And so, solo it is.

David

Last edited by DavidBell47 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've only had a crew on my boat 2 times in the 2 years I've owned it... I sail solo 90% of the time.. I wouldn't dream of going with just the main.. too boring!

I don't know about everyone else, but I leave the jib cleated. It's easy to solo the 16... when tacking, leave the jib cleated, it will backfill and help complete the turn, then uncleat it after you've already got the main setup on the new tack... if you have anything more than light wind, the jib will pop over with ease and you can cleat it on the otherside and head off like a rocketship!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like all the others have already comment, use the jib while single handing.

Before you trap-out, always remember to drape the jib sheet over the side bar. Then you can simply reach down and make adjustments.

Single handing has always been one of my big pleasures. When you trap, learn to tuck the tiller extension under your armpit when you need both hands. Then you can helm the boat by using shoulder movements.