Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOAT FOR SALE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

BOAT FOR SALE...The 1984 Galaxy powerboat (with engine problems) that is!!!!

Well, we took our refurbished 1981 H16 out for the first time this past weekend. WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My deepest regret is I stepped away from sailing soooo long to wrench and pour thousands into relic powerboats only to squeeze minumal trips out on the bay.

All 3 day's sailing in area of Heart-Miller Island, upper Chesapeake off my cousins shore front home.

Saturday- Light winds. Took wife and 6 beers out to get aquanted with our H16. Found that we need to trim battans on jib (workable but in light winds need a little prodding). Ran out of beer, returned to shore got more beer, went back on water turned our onboard stereo system on "Soapy Shower Radio" (eBay $15 total), and sailed occasionally enjoying small but frequent gusts.

Sunday- Light winds. Out to enjoy another day of sailing. Cousin also having end of Summer party. Morning spent trying to get into bay. Reached bay. Winds died. We were prepared, we brought extra beer. Returned to river where winds picked up again. Also took my sister and nephew out for a short mild sail. Older brother had also had fun, he wouldn't go out but was content standing on pier announcing how I was doing everything wrong (He's a master at everything....in his own mind). Cousin remarked "well that boat's moving right along I think he knows what he's doing! Another successfull Day!

Monday- Light winds predicted, heavy winds actual- Wife and me return and hit the water at 11:00AM. Blasted around river then headed north past Heart-Miller, up Chesapeake to Gunpowder River laying waste to mono-hulls, plowing through 3-4' chop, getting sprayed and wave washed the whole way :D . Reached mouth of Gunpowder in about 1.5 hours. Turned around and headed back. Spilled lots of wind not wanting to do a righting exercise in such rough weather. When getting behind Heart-Miller the winds were strong but the island broke the waves so we sheeted in and ripped away! My last cat never even got close to the speeds this thing can achieve! We then were off my cousins home and I decided to push the envalope. We have no problem skimming the windward hull and going super fast but I wanted to fly. The first 2 attempts to fly a hull the boat elevated fast almost capsizing, the third time we capsized. Powerboats were soon around asking if they could help. I thanked them but explained that we wanted to right it ourselves. I invited them to hang out "just incase". 1st attempt to right. I was too far aft, both forward hulls pointed skywards. 2nd attempt, boat flipped up and continued over to capsize on other side. 3rd attempt, loosened mainsheet (Duh!!), pulled righting line, wife grabbed the piviting hulls righting line to prevent another rollover, and all went well. We thanked everyone and sailed to shore. We reahed shore a little after 3:00PM (4 Hours solid sailing...less about 15 mitues for righting exercise). Our actioned packed adventure left us no time to even have 1 beer. So on shore we had a few beers and some lunch. Took my gearhead cousin out who discovered that catamarans are a BUNCH of fun! Pulled boat out at end of day, came home last night.

I'm sore, cramped up, sunburned, the boats dirty, and I haven't felt this good in a LONG TIME! 8) :D :) I guess our 1981 sail colors "Cat Fever" say it all!

Post subject: Re: BOAT FOR SALE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

swampcreek wrote:
WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sore, cramped up, sunburned, the boats dirty, and I haven't felt this good in a LONG TIME! 8) :D :) I guess our 1981 sail colors "Cat Fever" say it all!

If you didn't draw blood, get badly bruised or scraped, or damage the boat, then, in my book, you really didn't have a good time. You came close, but try harder next time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Right inside elbow, 2 scratches 1 light, 1 deep. Have NO idea how! Distance betweee scratches about the same as tiller bracket on cross bar, but there is no sharp edges there. I'm still on a natural high!!!