Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been shopping for an H16 for about 6 weeks now and I find it surprising that I have not seen any (or at least very few) H16's for sale from the late 80's or early 90's.

What happened to the boats that were built from about 87 to 96? Either Hobie didn't build very many or nobody sells them? There are plenty of used H16's from the 70's and early 80's.

Just curious.

Thanks

Michael

'86 H16 #91487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found the same thing.. nobody wants to get rid of em' or they are sitting in the yard and they think that nobody want's them.. I would recomend finding an older one and put your personal touches into it. Just make sure all the rigging is there the hulls arent beat up or have soft spots and if it is a 16' and has portholes make sure the decks are not soft, which signifies delam, my old 16' had that prob. Ask youself, is the tramp decent? does all the swaging on the standing rigging look good and not coroded? has it been trailered with the rudders on? if so are the casting's wore out? does it have adjustable upper rudder castings? for a lack of the term are the mounting points for the bridle wires wore out and oblonged? are the shroud mounting points beat up? the list can go on and on but basically just check it out good and make sure you can sail it at least three to four times before winter to make a list of squaks. my 2 cents. George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:41 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's a real simple answer to this - there aren't nearly as many late '80's and early '90's boats out there.

The peak production years were 1977 - 1983, when an average of about 10,000 boats a year were being produced.

By 1995, that number had dropped to under 1,000 a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I knew there had to be a reason for it!

George, I'll probably end up taking your advice and buying an older one and giving it my personalize touch!

'86 H16 #91487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Michael, if you're interested and somewhat close to Oklahoma City I know of a local sailor selling his '88 for a very reasonable price. Probably needs a newer main, but the hulls are tight and sails very well. Contact me @ jmork1 (at) cox (dot) net.