Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fiberglass repair help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair a cracked hull on my 1983 hobie 16? the crack goes to an access hole, cracked the access hole cover and then continued on the other side. its just accross the top part. i was just wondering if i should fit it together then put more glass on or if i should take out the access hole and then patch it together or any other way? i can't post a pictures because of the format of this webpage. i can email them if you want to see it, [email protected]. thanks for the help!
p.s. sorry about my improper terms, this is my first hobie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:29 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

e-mail the photos to me - hcanews(at)comcast.net and I'll post them for the masses.

But from your description, it sounds terminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

OK, here are the photos:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:46 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

What the hell hit your boat? :shock: Looks like maybe a tire?

If I'm seeing this right, it's the starboard hull between the shroud attachment point and the pylon. The hulls have been painted once already.

The entire deck is structurally compromised. The deck lip is pretty boogered up, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the shock of the blow knocked the pylon loose, too.

If you're bound and determined to fix this, it's a job for a pro. It probably can be done, but it'll be heavy(er) and will require a lot of glass and resin. A pro would charge you more than the while boat is worth.

The easiest and best way out of this is a new (at least to you) hull. I hope you have insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a real mess!! It would be a lot of work, but possible if you have experience with fiberglass repair. I would examine other parts of the hull and the pylon mounts, you may have other damage you haven't noticed yet. Since it already had access holes it may have been damaged previously.

The saving grace of the whole thing is that it is right at the access hole so you can get to the inside where most of the structural repair (as opposed to cosmetic) work will be done, but I don't want to understate the considerable cosmetic repair also needed. A good glass man could fix that like it was never there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ouch! RIP,
I think I would allocate the money intended for repair to that of replacing the hull on that side. I would avoid the headache and get back to sailing as soon as possible. Yes, I would think about a possible repair first but after locating a shop to do this, working out the cost, transportation to the shop and back, time lost for the shop to do the work....I'd rather just replace the hull.

My straight forward hull refinish took me all winter and 1/2 the following spring.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it works out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah it is the starboard side between the shroud attachment point and the plyon. i believe someone backed into it. im just looking to get it fixed enough to get it back into the water. its our first hobie so we aren't looking to go out and race or anything like that. we just want to learn to sail it and have fun. we got it really cheap so we can afford to put some money into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, I have been down that road. I had the exact damage to my '88 and spent the winter fixing it. I cut the bad spot, put in inspection ports, glassed like heck from the inside out and the outside in, reinforced the side stay bolt on to the hull thingy, and it looked okay and was pretty frackin' stong too, until about my 2nd regatta with it, heading to A mark in like 2nd place in A fleet in 18 mph wind, and we heard a significant "SNAPCRACKLEFRIGGIN'POP" and the leehull snapped in half, we did a pretty bitchin' cartwheel and then the boat sank.
I bought another hull last winter for her for $75, put $200 in actual bodyshop guy costs, and it runs like a top.
Don't fix it, junk it. Where are you from? I got a set of hulls that could use a little wetsanding, but are hard as a rock and are cheap.....
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is a guy in Va Beach named Dan Berger that parts out old boats. He might have something. That looks like the starboard (right) hull. Correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BTW...I agree with all the above posts. That hull would be way too much to repair and I wouldn't trust it any more.

Your profile said Kill Devils Hill, NC. Is that where the boat is? If so, that's a nice one hour ride to Va Beach. There is also a place in Duck that rents out boats. The owner is named Jon Britt. He is a cat sailor and may also know of some boats hanging around that are being parted out (he doesn't have H16s anymore).

My final suggestion would be to look at the rental places all up and down Nags head and Hatteras Island. A lot of times they have older H16s they use for rentals. After Columbus day, a lot of their rental inventory is for sale or it might already have some issues and not be useable. Make them an offer! In Nags Head, Kitty Hawk Watersports is also a Hobie Dealer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[email protected] "The Cat Reaper" He has at least 2 of everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Realized I forgot to put the name of the place in Duck. Its Nor'Banks.

I dropped an email to the guy in Va Beach and put a link to your post. If he has anything, he will either reply to me or post directly.

Good Luck!

Drej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is he!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie 2039

I heard back from Dan. He currently doesn't have any hulls. However, I know others that sometimes part out boats. I have passed this link on to them should they have something. They may contact you directly.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you don't mind a drive to Richmond, VA I have a starboard hull that I will let you have for $150. It is filthy dirty and been repainted years ago but it is good enough for a knock around boat. If you are interested I will go and get you a few pictures......

Contact me at [email protected]

"If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane", J. Buffett