Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok first i like to brag about how alsome i am at finding stuff. last june i bought my fist 83 16 for $400. Two Sets of sails no soft spot ready to go.

then just yesterday i bought my second 16 year 82 for $200 with beach wheels newer trap and sails with windows.

the only problem is that on the starboard deck in front of the front pylon is soft spot dimensions 3in by 14in.

i delt with a huge soft spot on my Prindle 18 by cutting out the top layer of glass and the foam and just replacing it with mat and cloth. will this repair work on my 16? could i just leave the spot there? OR should i take the part the boat out and sail the boat that is good?

your guys input is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has been covered in great detail on this forum, I wouldn't have been able to repair my soft spot without it. Look in the faq section of the forum for delam repair. Or, just do a search on delamanation or soft spots. The method recommended is injecting the area with thickened epoxy, "git rot" specifically. Depending on the size of your spot, this is really a pretyy easy process and much cheaper/easier than relaying glass or cutting huge holes in the deck. Mine is holding up quite well after over a year, both in the ocean and lakes, and my whole starboard bow was pretty much soft. There is a lot of information about this on this site and I'm sure this post will get some hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do not cut the deck - use the drilling holes and injecting epoxy resin method. The damage on your hull is so minor - cutting would cause more problems than it would fix. I would fix it soon before more hull delaminates... Patrick