Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Spinnaker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a 1981 Hobie 16. I am looking to add a spinnaker to it, I have seen several kits for sale online but they are rather pricey. Does anyone know of a good place to buy used (or somehow less expensive) ones or how to fabricate one?

I know of a place where I can get various scrap carbon fiber and or aluminum wisker polls/ old masts and booms/ any other kind of poll you can think of, as well as used blocks. I am pretty sure I could create the rig from that stuff. However, I do not have the dimensions for or know how a spinnaker rig is set up on a Hobie 16.

Does anyone know the dimensions of a h16 spinnaker or a spinnaker from a similar boat that would work?

Looking foreword to getting out on the water.

-Kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked at adding a spin to my 16 last year. since it isn't class legal in North America you can use anything you want, the 29er spinaker is very close in square footage, something like a 1foot squared difference and is cut fairly flat. if you can find somebody with an old spin that would be the cheapest.
not sure about the pole length, (29er is around 4feet from bow to tack) if you don't use a hobie spin then you will have to figure out what's best, better to have a longer pole then too short like the waves have, jib wrecks the air flow.
I was told not to put the hoist too high or you risk breaking the comptip, remember to sheet in your mainsail, it acts as your backstay and keeps the stick in the air.
check out catsailor.com I seem to remember some photos of a 16 with spin, and hobie europe should have some rigging instructions.
good luck, sure would be a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank your for the response. I have been have been searching all over to answer this question.

Off to start looking at 29er sites.

-kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here is a page I found a while back from a wave spin but the rigging is similiar on a 16 or tiger for that matter. http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/spinnakers.pdf
if you want to go for used sails, any skiff or cat asym spin will do. draw a sketch of the boat from the side and figure out your dimensions for luff, leach and foot then go hunting for sails. you want a spin from another fast boat cause the sail is cut flatter. look into the international 14 skiffs too, not sure about the size on that one but there is a decent fleet of them, I think the 49er would be too big unless you want to go for a masthead spin(chance of breaking the mast with that) if you get a hold of a sail cheap you can get it cut down at your local sail loft, won't be perfect but I presume this is for blasting past everybody else on the water and not racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is one used HC16 SPI for sale in www.hobiecat.dk under "sell and by"
Hope you get one...it is a lot more fun!

regards Flemse :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I would be very interested except that I don't have much hope for the shipping seeing as I live in Ohio. Also, I can't read the adds, the site does not translate to english well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a line on a good spin but you might talk to NCSUtrey, he is a wheeler and dealer and offered me a good deal on a Hobie 16 spin a while back.

Now to the fun part, I added a spin rig to my 5.2 and must say that I love it. I will never look at non-spin cats the same way. When I can pull that sail up and fly a hull in 6-7mph wind I know I can have fun in almost any wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know the dimensions but the area is 161.5 square feet.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Flemse wrote:
There is one used HC16 SPI for sale in www.hobiecat.dk under "sell and by"
Hope you get one...it is a lot more fun!

regards Flemse :D
i will translate for you . prize is about 722 USD
only saild one sesoon ,yellow .
address is:

http://sejlsport.net

:) Flemse