Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unable to raise mast
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i am unable to raise the mast on my boat. The male end of the mast base keeps on getting caught up on the lower mast base where the mast rotation is control. I am 100 percent sure that its not the rigging getting caught up. I tried just pushing harder and tore out the mast base. I repopriveted back in and still that same problem.

I have no idea what im doing wrong. I doing the same thing a do to raise the mast of my other 16. Any help to my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are using a Mast Step link, right? And you are getting the pin in the hole marked "16" right?

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:37 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
when the base hits try having someone push back on the base, this might help it pop in the hold. Be sure to check what Dog said, you gotta be using the "16" hole

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Some aftermarket stepping links don't have a designated "14/16" hole. Unfortunately I can't remember which is top and which is bottom off hand.

Also, I find that if I have one hand pushing upward on the mast (at about shoulder height) and my other pushing down it helps to direct the bottom of the mast into the base. If I didn't do this it would rip the rivets out like you have done. I'm sure it would be easier though if someone else just pushed down while I lifted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 14 hole is the one closest to the mast of the two when it is swung up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure the little feet of the link aren't squished together. Over time the link can become mangled and the feet will slide in to the "slot" of the base, allowing the mast to be too far forward.

Also, when stepping the mast, at about 15 to 20 degrees from vertical, pause and give the mast an upwards shove/pop, this allows the link to pivot aft and keep the ball from interfering with the stop on the base. In effect doing the same thing Hobie One described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You may want to replace the mast link if it is bent or mangeled. I was having similar problems and broke a mast base with a bent link. If it is bent, it won't pivot correctly.

Since replacing the link, the mast now slides right into the step. Also, I agree, you may need to pull back on the mast base some times to get the link to pivot down. Sometimes a slight upward and backward push before dropping into step is required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To elaborate a little on what others have said - the mast base can tend to pop up, but will be held down by the step link (which usually rotates up). If the step link has rotated, the whole geometry will be off, and the mast base will be guided onto the edge of the mast step. If you continue to lift at this point you've got a great big lever prying the step off the crossbar.

The reason this happens is you are probably lifting the mast too close to the step. Imagine that there is no step link to hold the mast base down. If the mast base would pop up when you lift the mast rather than be driven down, you are too far forward.

Step back towards the comp tip and start lifting from there, walking your way forward. Make sure the base doesn't pop up.

If you are soloing, it's also helpful if you can have the boat tilting forward, wind at your back. Use beach wheels, slope of the beach, etc.

Don't forget about the mast chip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the ideas. I think it is ether the bend link of i was standing to close to the base. When i usually step the mast the boat is on the beach. But yesterday i did it on the trailer; i started lifting at rear crossbar as well. Ill try again tomorrow. thanks for help