Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just started sailing a Hobie 16 (1983) and I purchsed the "Mama Bob" that Murrays.com recommended. One of the local H-16 sailors said I was crazy to put something that big on the boat. He recommended the smaller Baby Bob. I read a lot about "Baby Bob" in the H-16 forum...is this the best choice for keeping the boat from turtling? The choices I see are Hobie Bob, Mama Bob and Baby Bob (http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS)
and they say that Mama Bob is recommended for the H-16. Any opinions?

I'm new to catamarans, but have been sailing mono-hulls for years, so flipping and righting doesn't scare me, I just don't want to turtle it when sailing in Lake Michigan in early June, wetsuit or not! Okay, maybe I'm a wuss...

Thanks from this newbie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Spinnaker. A better choice for your boat would be Hobie part 30115, the baby bob. The mama will work, but it's giant! You'll love sailing the H 16!!! Hook up with your local fleet and you'll learn more about your boat in one day than you would sailing solo for years.

For parts try giving one of these guys a call. They are closer to you and can offer local help if you need it...and hopefully support local Hobie sailing.

WOLF'S MARINE
250 W. MAIN STREET
BENTON HARBOR, MI 49022
Phone: 1-269-926-1068
E-mail: [email protected]

AQUARIUS SAIL WISCONSIN
N34 W24041 CAPITOL DRIVE
PEWAUKEE, WI 53072
Phone: 1-262-691-3794
E-mail: [email protected]

Hope that helps.

Post subject: bob bob barran
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you sure you need a bob? The 16 floats on its side pretty nicely. In order to turtle you usually have to get blown over and then there is enough wind to blow on the bottom of the tramp and push it into a turtle.

To get it out of turtle: get the righting line, both crew and skipper stand on the deck lip as far back as you can on the leward hull and bounce a bit. She will come up and float on her side. Caution you need booties to do this without killing your feet.

cheers
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spinnaker,
Without a bob, if your mast is water-tight, the only time that your boat might turtle would be if you were to pitchpole so hard that it actually flips the boat. And even then, like h16Bill said, to bring it up on it's side is quite simple. It's all a matter of preference and comfort. You decide.

David

Post subject: Turtle in minute
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just took my new (used) H-16 for sail with my son. 22 - 25 mph winds knocked us over, while we were trying to get out of irons (our first error). I was surprised that the boat turtled in what seemed less than a minute! (I sailed, and tipped, Nacra 5.2 years prior, never turtled.)

We were blown to shore, literally standing on the mast in 25+ mph winds. We got upright with help of boat and passersby. Comp mast, it dripped for 2 days after.

No harm done to boat, though.

Inspection and reading tips in this forum suggests that the comp tip leaks water. Haven't dismantled it yet.

I'll seal the mast, then see about other float (bob) questions....

My first post here!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We put a Baby Bob on our 1981 H16 last year. We "field tested" it and it passed with flying colors. You might see if you could exchange it. If not, don't get too hung up on looks...Put it on. It's a boat to have fun with, so go have fun! ENJOY!!!!! :D

Some might disagree all together with putting a Bob on but hey, to each their own. We put one on because most of the water we sail is pretty shallow, the last thing I want to do is ride around after flipping over with black Chesapeake mud raining down from the top of the mast.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thinking this is an old post but that’s cool, I’m an old dude. I’m shortening my mast because of how and where I live. You don’t think about getting older and how heavy the mast seems to get. I’m taking 6 feet off my mast and it’s obvious the angle change of a capsized h16 to the waterline. Any body experienced with a mast float for this situation. I sail solo most of the time so gotta right the boat solo. Any help is appreciated and any sarcasm will be equally acknowledged. Life is short. I’m going to enjoy it as I hope you will

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rednecksurfer wrote:
Thinking this is an old post but that’s cool, I’m an old dude. I’m shortening my mast because of how and where I live. You don’t think about getting older and how heavy the mast seems to get. I’m taking 6 feet off my mast and it’s obvious the angle change of a capsized h16 to the waterline. Any body experienced with a mast float for this situation. I sail solo most of the time so gotta right the boat solo. Any help is appreciated and any sarcasm will be equally acknowledged. Life is short. I’m going to enjoy it as I hope you will

Thats about a foot shorter than a 14 mast, having both, I’ve wondered if you could put the 14 mast and sail on a 16 for when the kids get a little older and start to learn. May need a different base though. 14 mast is smaller all around and much lighter if you’re looking for something easier to step. For the question you actually asked... I would think it’d be much better at that increased angle to mount the baby bob at least, maybe not necessary, but would make things easier if you do flip, you,ll get a couple more feet of leverage