Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I was wondering about some of the older mirage drives prior to the 180 etc, do they all fit in the current kayak line up? I want to get an outback
however, I have an opportunity to pick up an older revolution first, with the older straight ahead only mirage drive. I was wondering if I get a second kayak (outback) later, will the outback 180 drive also fit in the older revolution? I think its a revolution 11, or 13, I am waiting for confirmation on that.

Logic tells me that all the mirage drives should fit any Hobie, however, I guess there might be an "notch issue" with some of the older drives and newer hulls?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Older drives fit newer boats. Newer drives may need some slight mods to fit older boats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ok, got it.

If I get the older Hobie, I can stick with the old drive or mod a new one, if I really want the 180 capability.

Well I might grab this revolution 13. It might cut through the waves better than an outback, although I guess the OB is more stable, at least if I stay sitting, the Revolution should be fine for fishing too. I can always add a OB or PA later if I want more stability.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I am a new member here looking for some advice. I have a used 2005 Mirage that I bought for my wife this winter. I am in wanting to add a 180 drive as my wife needs reverse and can't use a paddle. I was given drive part number 77800217 as one that will fit my boat potentially. Before the drive was sold to me they tested the fit in a kayak of the same vintage and there is interfernce with the boat before the drive is fully seated. I was sent pitures showing this but I can't tell how much material would need removed or deformed to make this fit. Has anyone done this retrofit successfully? I am not scared of heat guns, grinders or JB weld. I don't want to hack and slash the kayak then fail to make it work.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Likely some of the fairing needs to be removed. Not critical structure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)