Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Installing a new aluminum rudder the line to raise the rudder slipped into the hull.
How does one fish it back through and where exactly is the line supposed to come out.
I find no help on Hobie support for this.

I believe I found the tube where the line goes forward to the starboard side.
What do people use to fish the line back again?
Heavy stiff fishing line?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The solution, I found, is to snake some electrical wire through the tube. Then the problem is to attach the cord to the write. I found that stripping the wire about two inches, then taping the bare wire to the cord and pulling carefully … voila.

It would be a great help to Hobie owners if there were manuals that tell us how to deal with matters like this. I never did find a diagram showing how the cord went from the handle in front to the rudder in back. The videos tell you a lot but key details are not explained.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same thing happened to me today... Going to try and use a wire snake to pull it back through.

Update: So i threaded some fishing line through the hole the rudder line goes through, pulled it to the center hatch using half of a fly rod (I'm sure a coat hanger taped to a stick or something would work as well) then tied it to the rudder cable and pulled it back through. A lot of trial and error with tape... just use fishing line.

The hardest part was getting the fishing line to the center of the kayak to tie to the rudder line. Probably helps to have two people - one to angle the kayak up and another to pull through the center hatch.

Hope this helps. I spent a lot of time doing trial-and-error with tape. Just tie fishing line and pull it through.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It helps if you remove the plastic “guide” in the hole.. it is just s friction fit. Then you can feed a thin snake, a coat hanger, whatever toward the center of the kayak.

It also helps to get the foam blocks out of the way.. and make sure they don’t pinch the rudder line when you put them back in.

Another set of hands does help..