Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought a 2021 Mirage Oasis a few weeks after buying a 2021 Hobie Lynx.
The steering on the Oasis is so hard to turn the lever that I bought the knob for on top. Makes it 10% easier to turn the lever, still sucks !!!
The ease of steering the Lynx is a 10, a 5 year old girl can rotate the lever to steer it. The Oasis is not a joy to ride because the steering is so tight and difficult to turn the rudder. I can't believe it's supposed to be this way? The dealer is 1 1/2 hours away, so I hate to load it up and take it back for adjustment. Is there a video to show if this can be tweaked?

Also, when turned hard left the rudder is at about 10 degrees but at hard right it's at 45 degrees. The steering does the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You’ve got something binding up, it should be easy. My compass needed some lubrication on a couple points after a year, and it freed right up, but if yours is new, maybe a line sticking or caught somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Should steer easily. Something is tangled, miss routed or pinned under a foam block maybe. Use your cell phone video to look around inside the hull. Your dealer can also help you with this.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Should steer easily. Something is tangled, miss routed or pinned under a foam block maybe. Use your cell phone video to look around inside the hull. Your dealer can also help you with this.

Was 2021 a bad year for Oasis assembly? I looked at one tonight made in September of 2021 and steering was unbelievably stiff. The i11s I have is supposed to be the worst steering of any Hobie and mine feels buttery smooth compared to the moving a cinder block through concrete sensation of this Oasis. I demo'd the 2022 peddle lineup last weekend, other than Revo 13, Oasis and Tandem Island which are the 3 I am most interested in, so the horrible steering surprised me.

I tried to feel down and inspect the cable routing. The steering line tubing at the stern by the hatch was corkscrewed around each other. The spectra line did rub against the inside hull a few places. The hull at the front line U-turn would distort and bend when changing rudder directions. That was the only point I could not touch as I could not get my hand up in there past the foam to see if the spectra line was maybe wrapped around itself at the pivot there. I was told the Hobie tech said "that is just the way it is, the tightness will loosen up over time. Give it 10 trips out. It will be fine."

So, are they all like this? The steering stopped the sale. I was going to over look the crooked rudder as seen in https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59974&hilit=oasis but if I'm going to be annoyed every time I go to correct course, I'm NOT gonna do it. This is supposed to be enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:59 am 
Site Admin

The lines can be too tight as well, but the steering should be easy. Something is wrong... guessing too tight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The lines can be too tight as well, but the steering should be easy. Something is wrong... guessing too tight.

Thanks Matt, you are an enabler. 8)

The tech at the dealer was adamant it was set tight so it would loosen up and be right after a while and not need to be adjusted. Also he said the lines were routed correctly in the hull after I pointed out the lines corkscrewed around each other between the rear tiller and the rudder. Said that if it didn't loosen up after 10 or so outings to bring it back and they would adjust it. Ultimately it followed me home after thinking about what you said and how I felt things inside were just not "right". Once the lines were untied from the rudder, popped the rear line loop off the tiller inside, untangled the lines, reconnected loop on tiller, the lines moved smoothly. While the lines were untied I decided to correct the crooked rudder alignment. Tip was over an inch kicked to port. My OCD will not accept that. A drill bit and endmill later with a few moments spent machining the gudgeon lower bolt hole .100" oval, the rudder is vertical and clears the hull when swinging up. A few more minutes to adjust the lines and tighten them down, done for now. It feels MUCH better. Then is has rained every day since. lol

I decided to machine the gudgeon instead of the "melt the hull nut over" mentioned in other posts as replacing the gudgeon is WAY cheaper than replacing a hull.

I tried adjusting the rudder like I adjust my i11s with centering the tiller but I kept chasing my tail and kept having more swing one way or the other. What got it even was with lines loose on rudder, push tiller left. push rear of rudder left, pull left line snug and tighten. Keeping the rudder in same left turn position, pull right line snug and tighten. Check the throw and verify even swing to both sides. Did I mention its rained every day since? Fingers crossed for the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Hoping for Sun for you!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)