Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If my wife and I buy two Hobie Outbacks, how do we get them to the lakes and rivers? From what I can tell, most rack systems aren't made for this size kayaks, and the sales people at Rack Attack are not very convincing that the kayak holders will support 2 almost 100 lb kayaks. Considering the cost of the kayaks, is there a reasonable way to transport them? I have a 4Runner.

Thank you for all constructive help/solutions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer to transport my 2019 Outback and my wife's Eddyline Carribbean 12, which is about the same size. Two SOTs fit easily on the wide version of this trailer. The great thing about the Rack and Roll is you can knock it down for storage. The tongue collapses into itself, the wheels are easily removed via cotter pins, and the trailer stands up on-end flush against a wall. It's so light weight I can hand cart the trailer with both boats on it. Plus it has great off-road clearance.

Before I switched to a trailer, I roof mounted these boats on Yakima Core Bars mounted to the bed cap of my F150. Core Bars can handle 220lbs (they're steel, not aluminum) and come in 4 lengths (up to 80"), so the limiting factor is your roof's load capacity and mounting options ... and your willingness to lift the boats.

I found RhinoRack's Universal Load Assist to be helpful with the lift, but the trailer solution is WAY better!