Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Saw this vid for adding a rear hatch to the new 2019 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWIZgzQRGLk

Thanks, TomyTek.

Also looking forward to your steering solution for the Bixpy addition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would not want a round hatch at that location. Any water build up in the trunk will eventually leak through that circle hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

agoodhi wrote:
I would not want a round hatch at that location. Any water build up in the trunk will eventually leak through that circle hatch.

I guess you expect the seal you install to leak. Not sure a lot of water would collect there. There are scuppers and it would appear that there is a slope toward the scuppers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pounce wrote:
agoodhi wrote:

I guess you expect the seal you install to leak. Not sure a lot of water would collect there. There are scuppers and it would appear that there is a slope toward the scuppers.

Not the gasket during install, but the hatch "o-ring" on the lid itself. These are prone to leak if sand/debris gets in it and/or "o-ring" twists. Also scuppers are on the opposite side. If the back is loaded down, water will collect over the round hatch. Just something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

agoodhi wrote:
pounce wrote:
agoodhi wrote:

Not the gasket during install, but the hatch "o-ring" on the lid itself. These are prone to leak if sand/debris gets in it and/or "o-ring" twists. Also scuppers are on the opposite side. If the back is loaded down, water will collect over the round hatch. Just something to keep in mind.

I don’t think you’re going to be opening it a lot for one, but really who cares if you get a drip here or there. You are in a kayak a few inches off the water, and you and it are going to get wet, and probably eventually dirty, its a management thing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

They finally got rid of the warpy, leaky round hatches, Thank goodness. If I wanted a rear hatch access I’d go with the rectangular style.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A few drops leaking is one thing, a couple of cups every time is another. The round hatch on my 17 warped from being in the sun all day every day. I replaced it with a rectangular instead and no more problems. I definitely pass on the round ones!!