Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was surprised when I read in the manual that it is not recommended to store the kayak on the Hobie cart. The reason they say is it can deform the hull and scupper tubes.

I wanted to be able to quickly load/unload the boat in my pickup, so leaving the cart in would be ideal. I did not want to remove the cart every time I got home, and install it each time before loading. The kayak is heavy enough that it’s annoying, and I don’t like turning it on the sides.

I think I came up with an approach to safely storing the kayak on the ground with the Hobie cart still installed. I had Yakima foam roof blocks that seemed to fit in between the cart and the kayak perfectly, and the scupper tubes are not resting on the hard car plastic collars.

If any one thinks this can still deform the hull please tell me. Here are some pics:

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I first got my Outback, I stored it the same way you have in the pictures. Still deformed the hull. This unit is heavy. That being said, I find no ill results from the deform hull. I am sure there is, I just don't see the effects.

You should store your Outback upside down. You may have to support it, say with a couple of 2x6's. I put a 2x6 at the Mirage well and just behind the seat. This is where the boat has the strongest structural support (Pre 2019 Outbacks).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:07 am 
Site Admin

If you pad some milk crates or something to help support forward and aft of the cart... to spread the load... That would work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my 2019 Outback and that is a big help Matt!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

New guy here......
Just put my 19 Outback on layaway and will have it for Christmas.

I do not like the idea of storing it upside down at all....
Any other good ideas or tips for storing it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mdewitt71 wrote:
New guy here......
I do not like the idea of storing it upside down at all....

Curious about why upside down is a problem or concern. They are easy to hang from the ceiling.

I think the length of storage is the issue really. If you use it a lot it's less of a problem. Obviously, you are just trying to prevent deformation. Some you can correct. Some not. Depends on a lot of factors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

low platform/frame with pvc rails on it, slightly higher than cart, just slide it on and take the weight off the wheels and rails will spread weight along hull. You can also put a removable support under the rear if it overhangs too much. The more the load is spread the less any chance of deforming. For kayaks with a rocker (hull bottom curvature) rails can be mounted with a matching curve.

Personally though I would just remove the trolley. For my revo 16 which is a shallower hull, and the trolley is meant for all models, i cut down post heights so that it is easier to slip it under rather than having to lift back as high.

If you open back hatch and use lip of hatch to lift up the back and rest back of kayak on your thigh, lifting it is easier to remove and install trolley without having to fully roll kayak on its side. Especially when not loaded with gear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I left my outback on my trailer. I used 3” pvc length wise and no problem. I bet some 2x4 and pvc you could make a nice storage rack and be able to load it on the pick up pretty easy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do a search for "hoist", a lot of good ideas there. I store my kayak on 2" straps. With the kayak on the straps, it`s very easy to roll it over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WAVERIDER wrote:
low platform/frame with pvc rails on it, slightly higher than cart, just slide it on and take the weight off the wheels and rails will spread weight along hull. You can also put a removable support under the rear if it overhangs too much. The more the load is spread the less any chance of deforming. For kayaks with a rocker (hull bottom curvature) rails can be mounted with a matching curve.

Personally though I would just remove the trolley. For my revo 16 which is a shallower hull, and the trolley is meant for all models, i cut down post heights so that it is easier to slip it under rather than having to lift back as high.

If you open back hatch and use lip of hatch to lift up the back and rest back of kayak on your thigh, lifting it is easier to remove and install trolley without having to fully roll kayak on its side. Especially when not loaded with gear

Anchor trolley has nothing to do with wheels (think you are thinking "Dolly") or for storing it, is a rope system on the side.
I have been looking into a PVC tube cart though, thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Ben, here’s how I store my Oasis. Made with 2”pvc. Besides being a storage rack, it is equipped with coaster wheels and used to load/unload my boat from my truck. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

those little fold out camp chairs?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

^^^^ I have 2 camp chairs that I was planning on using like this, I think it would be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They are pretty easy to get in and out that way as well, just remove the chair at the back of the kayak - and wheel the whole kayak around the remaining front 2 chairs and leave those front 2 chairs there for when you get back. So your only really "resetting" x1 chair each time its moved - Comes in handy for adjusting the rudder as well (you can deploy the rudder like that without it hitting the deck)

Probably more chairs the merrier I guess they do seem to contour to the hull nicely

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it okay to store the kayak on flat/even ground? Aka concrete garage floor?!