Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How are people making use of the looped end bungie cords built into the black tool holders on the 2019 Outback? I'm referring to the ones at each end of the black tool holder/H-bar assemblies along the sides of the cockpit (not the little ones inside the h-bars for securing tackle boxes).

Are you adding tethers to the bungies? Connecting tools directly to them? Using them some other way? Not using them at all?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep a pair of scissors attached to one. I add small S-hooks to the tethers so I can add, move or remove tools easily. The layout is nice since the scissors fit nicely in the slot right near the tether. For now that is the only one of the four that I use. I am really used to having most everything on my vest but may eventually move some more things to the tethers. I think about moving my camera but so far have not. Same thing with pliers. It just seems more convenient to have them in my vest.

I never did have my scissors on my vest. On my 2011 Outback I used to just tether them to the handrail with some 100lb braid. When I look at the tethers I think of it as being useful for attaching something that you only care to use on one side of the kayak. Scissors fits that bill for me. However, for most things, I think I prefer being able to easily use something off either side of the kayak by having it on my PFD.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The two bungies are too strong to let you use any tool, exept to be Arnold Scharzenegger! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's where I'm ending up too. I clipped a couple of light duty coiled leashes for pliers and scissors to the tool holder and the bungies are going unused for now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm gonna initially use them for my pliers, scissors, and lipper.

But I know I'm gonna go back to what I did in my old hobie out of habit.

Just have my pliers and scissors clipped to my vest. My lipper may stay on the new tether.it used to just be in a side pocket.