Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Aloha fellow hobie owners,

Does anyone have any recommendations for installing the Garmin fishfinders on the new 2019 outbacks with the guardian units? They are setup for Lawrance units from the factory.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you ever find anything on this? I'm looking to get an echomap CV, and I am wondering how to mount it on the 2020 guardian.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

According to last video on hobie website the guardian is able to have the transducer mounted on the inside or outside of it and still be protected. I understand is designed for the Lawrance, but shouldn't be an issue with the Garmin's (might need to adapt or create new pieces, like in the old covers)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a 73SV chirp and recently upgraded to a 106SV. I am running a GT50 transducer (that dwarfs the GT52) that I have attached to the Guardian transducer plate. That works great for me. I have the GT52 attached to a reticulating arm I built out of aluminum bar stock and that attaches to the gear track (that is what I was using before I got the GT50).

I would say that having the transducer attached to the guardian plate provides a huge reduction in drag and a big improvement in tracking. I made a template by tracing my transducer on piece of paper, poking holes where the screw holes are and then taping that to the guardian plate to drill the holes.

It was a pretty easy procedure and I love the functionality of being able to raise and lower the guardian plate. For CV (and not SV) you could mount it on the inside of the guardian plate with zip ties and be just fine. When I had an HB 597DI I mounted the transducer inside the hull of my old 2011 outback (in a well made of duct seal filled with water) and it worked great.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jmunch wrote:
Aloha fellow hobie owners,

Does anyone have any recommendations for installing the Garmin fishfinders on the new 2019 outbacks with the guardian units? They are setup for Lawrance units from the factory.

I mounted a Garmin transducer on mine. Added the deflector and lined up where I wanted the transduced to sit just behind it. The wires coming from the transducer were on an angle moving the transducer rear of the guard more than I wanted. A little dremeling so the wires were ok, with the transducer as close to the deflector and drilled the 6 holes. Mounted great. My 5CV and transducer doesn't have side scan so I could have mounted it above the shield. This was easier. And pulling the transducer up does not make a difference than if it were down. So I've kept it up in the hull. Not sure if it slows me down this way. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I mounted a GT52 to my guardian plate this month. I used a dremel bit to cut out a hole behind the noseguard where the cable passed through and then drilled holes to match the transducer mounting pattern. Worked well, but I ended up making a couple of holes a little oblong in order to allow for some adjustability to get transducer nice and straight.