Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. The leash came with a screw cap fitting to attach the leash but I have no idea where it goes on the 2019 outback. I thought it would screw into the sail mast holder but it's not threaded. The other option is to drill in the hull and install the eye hook it came with. Any idea what I'm suppose to do with this cap? Is it for older models?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My recommendation would be to choose a location on the firewall in front of the Mirage Drive well, and thru-bolt the stainless padeye using the hardware included with the leash kit. Higher up on the wall is best. The black plastic padeye you're referencing has the same threads as other padeyes (like the ones around the cargo area). If desired, you can thread the black plastic padeye in anywhere the same fitting is found.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All those padeyes and cleats are interchangeable. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the notches and unscrew them. I swapped out for the one on the revo 16 meant for cleating the sail on the forward bulkhead. I have actually swapped out most of my fittings for the hobie XL ones, as they allow you to double up as a bungie end plug and larger capacity padeye.

If you want to increase space on existing padeye just attach a SS shackl to it, so you can clip more stuff to it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Whisk wrote:
Hello. The leash came with a screw cap fitting to attach the leash but I have no idea where it goes on the 2019 outback. I thought it would screw into the sail mast holder but it's not threaded. The other option is to drill in the hull and install the eye hook it came with. Any idea what I'm suppose to do with this cap? Is it for older models?

If you would like a photo of my installation, let me know and I'll flick you a pic. It is a really simple install.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just clip my drive lease to the very front attach point, where the carry handle is attached. This lets me also use the lease to keep the front hatch open for loading/unloading on shore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. I just got a new 2019 outback & I am looking to attach the cleat for the drive leash. Mine has a set of screws on the right & left sides that look like there are for attaching a cleat. They came preinstalled on the kayak. Is it ok to use them to attach the cleat to? They are really on the right & left sides of the bulk head. Thanks for any help or pics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Smitty4ut wrote:
Hello everyone. I just got a new 2019 outback & I am looking to attach the cleat for the drive leash. Mine has a set of screws on the right & left sides that look like there are for attaching a cleat. They came preinstalled on the kayak. Is it ok to use them to attach the cleat to? They are really on the right & left sides of the bulk head. Thanks for any help or pics.

I believe the screws you are talking about are anchoring part of the steering on the inside of the hull (take a peak).

I just use the anchor that is right behind the left standing pad, I assume it is there for the drive. The leash reaches the drive just fine from there and the leash is not in my way. I am not sure why folks are trying so hard to find a better place.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928