Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my 2019 Outback out for the first time and my rudder seemed very nice and very responsive while I was going slow (I also have an Oasis). However, once I picked up speed I had to keep my hand on the steering control or the rudder would turn all the way to the side and I would make a 90 degree turn out of nowhere. Am I supposed to cleat the rudder drop down line? Nobody on youtube including Hobie has cleated theirs. It might or might not be related, but when I drop my rudder (while sitting on sawhorses) I need to nudge it for it to deploy. The only thing I could possibly see working is to shorten the rudder drop down line. Any thoughts? I've tested the rudder lines and they are nice and tight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure what cleating your rudder line would do to help with steering. From what I understood those are separate lines. When I first deploy my rudder sometimes it takes a few seconds for it to fall all the way, but once it's deployed I can pedal 3-4mph without holding the steering knob and go straight.

So what you're experiencing is definitely not normal, I would take it in to your dealer and have them take a look. Might just have to tighten up the steering lines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Daviddddddd wrote:
I took my 2019 Outback out for the first time and my rudder seemed very nice and very responsive while I was going slow (I also have an Oasis). However, once I picked up speed I had to keep my hand on the steering control or the rudder would turn all the way to the side and I would make a 90 degree turn out of nowhere. Am I supposed to cleat the rudder drop down line? Nobody on youtube including Hobie has cleated theirs. It might or might not be related, but when I drop my rudder (while sitting on sawhorses) I need to nudge it for it to deploy. The only thing I could possibly see working is to shorten the rudder drop down line. Any thoughts? I've tested the rudder lines and they are nice and tight.

Are you able to get your dealer involved? Sounds like there needs to be some line tension adjustments.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Are you able to get your dealer involved? Sounds like there needs to be some line tension adjustments.

I contacted my dealer and I can take it in if I need to. I was hoping to be able to fix it myself and avoid going to my dealer, but I can if all else fails. With 2 people saying check the steering lines, I'll give the line tension a more thorough look tonight. I kind of dismissed the line tension because there is less than 1mm of slop when I turn the steering knobs and the lines seemed tight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometimes, give the handle a little jiggle and it helps the rudder deploy swiftly. Take a look and see if there's a hang-up somewhere in the system as well. Could have the up/down line getting hung up on something, or on another line.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a thought......

Assuming the drop down rudder design is similar to my PA-14, there is a spring used to push the rudder down and the rudder has 2 screws that hold it into the support bracket/pocket/slot.
If the spring is defective or not installed correctly or the screws are "too tight" causing the bracket to "clamp or pinch" the rudder, the added friction will cause deployment issues.

Regarding the rudder turning too freely once fully deployed......the rudder shaft, has a SS machine screw in the top end that holds it in place....is it possible this screw is loose and not holding the shaft all the way up?

These are easy things to check for at home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to get maybe 1/16" of slack out of the rudder lines and it actually seemed to help a lot. I'll have to take it out to see for sure, but thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For anyone else that has this problem, I think I have found the cause here. I keep my kayak in my garage and my garage stays about 60 degrees in the winter. I've checked the rudder lines and there seems to be no play in the line while it sits in my garage. The two times I've taken my Outback out the temperature has been below 45 degrees (38 last night). Once I got on the water I noticed that I had some slack in my rudder lines (I could turn the steering knob about 1/8-1/4 inch before the rudder started turning). It is 60 degrees again today and I just went out to fix the slack in my rudder line and found it to be tight again. I'm assuming the plastic of the Outback shrinks in the cold and is giving my rudder line extra slack. I've fished in the cold in my Oasis and never noticed something like this. I'm guessing the plastic and/or design on the 2019 Outback is different and is more sensitive to the cold.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rudder lines changing tension due to hull expansion or contraction was a common problem with the Pro Anglers.
In 2014 Hobie installed the "Rudder Boa" to adjust the rudder line tension.

It seems to me, based on my 2013 PA-14 where I retrofitted and added the BOA, a 1/16" change in line is not significant.

I know the new Outback is larger, so temperature changes will result in what you have found. In fact, all Hobie Mirage kayaks are subject to this change.

Maybe Hobie will look into adding a BOA, if this becomes a real issue???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Two of my clients have a similar problem. When the kayak moves and the man removes his hand from the steering handle, the kayak immediately turns full left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

https://youtu.be/sjXlOOiPt-E

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After viewing the video and thinking back to my first Hobie kayak, a 2010 Outback and my current 2013 PA-14, I always kept my hand on the "tiller" in order to maintain the course I was trying to keep.

Maybe "it's just me" but I don't think this is a big deal......there are several factors that cause the rudder to move around and the biggest issue was "hysteresis" in the rudder lines that the BOA removed.

I have owned sail boats and outboard powered boats over the last 60 years...all of these craft require constant rudder correction while underway and if you remove your hand from the rudder input, the tiller or steering wheel would move. Unless you add additional friction to the tiller handle, it is going to move around on its own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I just bought a 2019 outback and have the exact same issue. I also bought a compass at the same time for the kids. The compass is perfect and tracks straight without having to hold the control.

I noticed the rudder on the outback had a small warp in it when I picked it up from the dealer 3 weeks ago. They said it wouldn’t be an issue. It is

I returned back to dealer here and they looked at it and agreed this would cause the steering To move hard left almost instantly. They were really good about is and we’re going to swap it for one of their floor models, unfouruntely all 3 outback’s on the floor had the same issue.

My dealer was contacting Hobie for comment. There may be a quality issue with the new rudders on the outback for 2019?? I am waiting for my dealer to call with a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Could you post a photo of the warped rudder, I have 2 new outbacks on order and would like to be sure they're OK.
If its possible and not too big of a hassle for you.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are the photos. Wasn't sure how to attach directly so I have added a share folder to my google drive.

It's a bit hard to see in the pics but you will get the idea. I am in Australai so I wonder if the damage was due to shipping.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... DLs_SQXawM

Regards

Rotelman