Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,
I own a 2016 Limited Edition Outback and love the kayak but I'm looking to add a new Outback to my fleet next year. I've been looking at all the 2019 Outback videos and I love what I see. However, as Hobie does every year, they find room for slight improvement to keep us happy and the company growing. I would like to hear from owners or potential buyers what they would like to see improved next year.

I would like to see the hatch in the rear of the kayak installed in the factory. Also if possible in the current model, if there is a way to load the kayak without the block load assist that protects the rudder. Lastly, the rudder control handle grips improved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All reasonable requests that could easily be done and retrofitted if so desired. The block is just one of those things that works and is a cheap alternative to any other option. If you lose it or run it over I think they’re $20 new. I’m curious if Hobie will change hull material, nothing wrong with current stuff but a lighter and stronger outback is pretty much the only improvement I can see happening but what do I know I work for the govt and not product development

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think as with anything product development team to keep making it marketable for buyers, they have to hold some things back. Maybe its not ready or just not needed but they will always hold something to keep us updating lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen some folks post that they would be concerned about having a round hatch in the rear. For me it is neither here nor there. If I had one I would be happy but I doubt I will put one in.

I like the rudder controls so I personally don't think they need to be changed. I doubt I would like anything else any more (or less). The one thing some folks have talked about is adding a Boa to adjust the tension. I have not had any issues but this seems like a nice function improvement.

I think the rudder works well and I like not having the twist and stow. It would have been nice if it had recessed fully but that is a pretty major hull change. I hated the block at first, now I am down to a mild dislike, I am sure that soon I won't even think about it.

I think the problem with a lighter hull material is that it would be significantly more expensive and it would be more fragile. I certainly would be happy if my Outback weighed less, but not if that made it more fragile.

I think a front hatch bucket is a nice easy upgrade. I am sure one will be available at some point. Maybe they will make it standard once they do. The other is rear H-rails. I am torn on that one. The bungees provide a lot of flexibility but I would not mind a good grab point at the rear of the kayak. I doubt this will ever be standard, but I hope they will offer it as an accessory soon.

Overall, I am really happy with my 2019 compared to my 2011 (which I still love).

I think the one thing I would like to see is a better front handle. The one on the Outback is a little small. I would be OK with the same style but big enough to grab with two hands. Anyone ever upgrade theirs in some clever way?

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Taken my 2019 Outback out about 10 times in calm to 2-3’ swells & 20 knot winds, and I have ZERO complaints about the rudder handles- I don’t get it- I read this all the time. I wear gloves a lot, and it’s a very simple, effective design- I like it better than the 2014 I used to have-much easier to operate. As for the rear hatch, The back is covered in a grip mat with a crate, a cooler & a scupper cart, so, I for one am happy it’s not a standard feature, as I have had older models leak water through the rear hatch. The front handle isn’t a brute, agreed, but it’s more than adequate- dragging the boat up into a ramp is all I’ve used it for, and even then, I’m more likely to just use my stand assist strap. To date I find very few flaws with 60-70 hours in the seat. I did add sidekicks to improve standability, but anything smaller/lighter than a PA would need the same.