Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's hear some reviews!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This group is just too quiet. I am on the fence about upgrading my 2011 to a 2019 and I have watched pretty much every youtube review that I can find. There are clearly a lot of great reasons to make the jump but I do have a couple of concerns - especially with the front hatch leaking. I would love to hear any on the water opinions from anyone who bought a 2019. I would especially love to hear from any of you that have moved from an older Outback (pre vantage seat) to a 2019.

FYI, I called about a test drive but the local shop did not have a demo in stock yet.

Particular things that are of interest to me that I have not really been able to get a great feel from the online content I have seen:

How does the speed per effort compare with older models? I have the V2 drive without the fancy bushings and I would be interested to hear a comparison to older models, which is of course influenced by the new hull design and the new (compared to mine) drive. Some reports say it is so much better, but at least one reviewer reported the same top speed on the 2019 and 2018.

Looks like the whole cockpit has been shifted forward which makes the tank well have more storage capacity. Any downsides to how this feels on the water? Does the nose feel like it digs in too much (I weigh about 215 so any info from larger folks is especially appreciated)?

If anyone anchors up to fish, how is it pulling the anchor compared to an older outback?

On my 2011 when I am fully loaded (I bring way too much stuff) the tank well would have some water in it. I believe the 2019 has more capacity and sits more level which should help. Does anyone who was in my shoes with an older outback see improvement of this with the 2019?

Lastly, I will bring up the front hatch leaking. Seems like some folks have improved that by adding a gasket to the front hatch. Who has taken there outbacks out into rough water? Have you had issues with water in the hull? If so were you able to rectify the situation?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

pdxfisher wrote:

Lastly, I will bring up the front hatch leaking. Seems like some folks have improved that by adding a gasket to the front hatch. Who has taken there outbacks out into rough water? Have you had issues with water in the hull? If so were you able to rectify the situation?

I believe there was a comment from a Hobie employee in another thread that they are looking at the topic and may add a gasket. I would assume that they would support anyone that had already purchased a kayak.

I wouldn't let it stop you from buying. Seems like a minor issue that is either easily corrected DIY or by a gasket retrofit sent by Hobie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Pounce. That is good advice.

Right now the big hold up for me is making room in the garage. I need to install some type of hoists and racks to store at least 2 of my kayaks on the ceiling. Right now I have stuff stacked like cordwood and adding one more kayak to the mix requires a complete re-design of my garage storage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The only thing I can comment on is speed. I can maintain about 3.5-4mph pretty easily. I don't know how that compares to the older outback.

I haven't had any issues being so far forward, but I am a bit lighter. I do really like having a large tank well for my crate with rod holders and a larger lunchbox. I've never felt like I didn't have enough room in the cockpit area.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks NC Angler!

Easily doing 3.5 to 4 is a good bit better than I do in my 2011. I would say a fair pace for me is between 2.5 and 3. I can get up to 4mph but I have to push really hard to get there and that pace is definitely not sustainable for me. In looking at the hull this is what I would expect. Plus, I know the new drives are supposed to give a 10-15% improvement over the old drives so I am not sure how that compares to a 2018.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am 
Site Admin

[/quote] I believe there was a comment from a Hobie employee in another thread that they are looking at the topic and may add a gasket. I would assume that they would support anyone that had already purchased a kayak.[/quote]

Announced to dealers today. We added a lid gasket to all 2019 Outback production.

Quote:
For 2019 Outbacks built prior to this production change, we created a kit:

72020119 2019 Hobie Outback Front Hatch Gasket Kit. This is at NO Cost.

The kit will include instructions on how to install the gasket. We also have an instructional video that covers the installation. This video will also be accessible on the Outback product support page on Hobie.com on Friday.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we worked to solve this issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine arrived in Michigan a couple weeks ago, too bad winter came early this year, so it sits in the barn wishing it’s owner lived in warmer climes. The only comment I can make is the stock paddle at 230cm seems a bit short for a 34” wide boat. It’s not as well made as my 2016 Revo’s stock paddle. Oh well, have to invest in a better one at some point. Dragging it down to Pensacola this spring to try it out. Only 4 more months...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had mine out in terrible conditions. When I got back to the ramp, the boaties could not believe I was comfortably negotiating the waves in a kayak, when they had to turn back in their boats. It is really that good.... I had lots of water coming over the bow, with barely a dribble in the hull. I also got smashed by a couple of storms when away, with the kayak sitting out in the weather. Absolutely no water ingress..... Others have experienced issues with water entering the hull, so tolerances must be tight. The newly added seal should fit it for those having issues (hopefully). In terms of the rest of the hull, I cannot see a reason why I will EVER take my 2018 PA14 back on the water. The Outback is amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the on the water review roastman! I really need to figure out how to squeeze one more kayak into the garage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

roastman wrote:
I've had mine out in terrible conditions. When I got back to the ramp, the boaties could not believe I was comfortably negotiating the waves in a kayak, when they had to turn back in their boats. It is really that good.... I had lots of water coming over the bow, with barely a dribble in the hull. I also got smashed by a couple of storms when away, with the kayak sitting out in the weather. Absolutely no water ingress..... Others have experienced issues with water entering the hull, so tolerances must be tight. The newly added seal should fit it for those having issues (hopefully). In terms of the rest of the hull, I cannot see a reason why I will EVER take my 2018 PA14 back on the water. The Outback is amazing!

sorry to pile onto your crowded garage situation, but I agree, "The Outback is amazing!". I'll be posting a thread soon on how well it performed today in strong moving tide conditions near the ocean.

Note: 'Pepper' loves the rear deck of the new Outback but she did not approve of this lingcod at all. She did let me keep it after I explained how tasty they are...lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just receveid mine last week and took it out yesterday, I like it, most of it worked great, big boat it does not fit my malone seawings so nervious during transport but we made it.

2 things the rubber strip on the right pedal keeps popping off and the seat keeps collapsiong from the middle position to the lower position for some reason this is a real pain in the ass, can only really use highest and lowest position my prefered is the middle.

They really made it clear to store it upside down, unfortunately do to space restrictions can only store sideways, wish me lucks.

Caught a little snapped on my first trip.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Feels much quicker, faster, more nimble and wetter than the 2017 Outback and of course the PA14. Bow is more aggressive and cuts thru the waves instead of over the top and hull slap. I’ll do a review & comparison after I get some miles on it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ive had mine since the first shipment, but never owned a peddle drive so dont take this as a comparison.

I average 4 mph with average effort per my GPS as long as I take full peddle strokes. Long and slow produces 4 mph. Non full peddle strokes is 3.5 mph. Putting extra effort to get a few more decimal points of speed beyond 4 mph is just not worth it. Youll feel the difference.

The front hull is wet. Cuts through chop and small waves like a blade, but water comes over easily. Thankfully the hatch seal is being fixed. To answer your question, no I do not believe it digs, and if anything the design sheds water quickly.

My anchoring experience. I fish in 20 ft of water often. The Hobie claw anchor grabs just fine. I added an anchor trolley to keep it aimed where I want it. If you decide to stand and fish while anchored the claw anchor is not that great if there is wind. Just bought a Bruce anchor to experiment with.

Can’t think of anything big I’d like to change. Great fishing machine.