Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was looking at some new demo (still in plastic) 2018 closeout outbacks. I've read that there are some upgrades to the 2019. Do you think the upgrades are worth an additional $900 to $950. That would be the cost difference to go for a 2019 new (not demo) unit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nope

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's not really a question anyone else can answer for you as it depends on how much you value the new features. If I couldn't spend what it took for a 19 Outback I likely would've just considered other kayaks before an 18 Outback. I think the stability, cockpit layout, and transducer mount were worth the extra cost. The layout of the cockpit and stability were huge for me, but they may not be as valuable to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wasn’t in the market for a Outback.

Was looking for an old school Quest. When I saw the promo video it changed my mind.

So from my point of view, I was not attracted to the old Outback. Price wasn’t the issue for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went back the other day. They still have a few of the 2018's left. They are around $2000. They 2019's have a promotion running where you get a 10 percent gift card back. If I count the card similar to cash (stuff I would have purchased anyways), the price of the 2019 would be $2520. I would need to factor in the additional tax as well for the cost difference which would be another $50. That would make the 2019 $570 more. It's not as much as I thought it would be. I like the look of the new 2019 as well as the rudder being underneath.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fronty wrote:
I went back the other day. They still have a few of the 2018's left. They are around $2000. They 2019's have a promotion running where you get a 10 percent gift card back. If I count the card similar to cash (stuff I would have purchased anyways), the price of the 2019 would be $2520. I would need to factor in the additional tax as well for the cost difference which would be another $50. That would make the 2019 $570 more. It's not as much as I thought it would be. I like the look of the new 2019 as well as the rudder being underneath.

I was quoted $2200 For leftover 2018`s. Who has them for $2000?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love the 2019. Maybe going from a 2018 to 2019 isn’t, but I went from a 2016 and got the 2019 and couldn’t be happier. I haven’t used it yet but just the layout and features are what I like about it. I have been in a Hobie since 2005 or so and never been disappointed. I usually ask dealers if there is wiggle room on price and sometimes I am lucky. One downside about Hobie is no advertised discounts. I understand because they are trying to protect there dealers so I’ll let it go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Depends on who's buying it.

It was worth it for me. I paid 3200 for mine with led lights installed

I am upgrading from a revo so it's definitely was worth it for me. My old revo had the old style seat, no front rod holders and I wanted a wider more stable platform.

My buddy has an older outback and another one has a 2yr old revo.

Both are not upgrading right now.

Post subject: Discounts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went shopping on Austin Kayak website looking forward to getting a new Hobie Pro Angler 14 and getting the usual 10% discount on accessories with ACK.
However the website states Hobie doesn’t allow discounts on there accessories when buying a new kayak.

Why would Hobie dictate to a dealer what they can and can’t do and why would they not let dealers promote a nominal discount to increase sails and promote the Hobie products?????

Post subject: Re: Discounts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BroncoBridg wrote:
Went shopping on Austin Kayak website looking forward to getting a new Hobie Pro Angler 14 and getting the usual 10% discount on accessories with ACK.
However the website states Hobie doesn’t allow discounts on there accessories when buying a new kayak.

Why would Hobie dictate to a dealer what they can and can’t do and why would they not let dealers promote a nominal discount to increase sails and promote the Hobie products?????

To help promote local dealers. I bet if you buy in store through ACK you could get that discount. Likewise at your local hobie dealer. I know that mine does it. I would be willing to wager that there is not much more margin in those accessories beyond that 10%, which is why no dealers ever offer more of a discount than that on most of them. They put that discount on the accessories out there as a carrot to help sway you toward buying a new kayak.

Hobie's business model promotes a stable market for their products by keeping things the same across the board, which means that if you buy any of their stuff from the smallest local shop or the giant internet clearing house, you will pay the same. Premium brands tend to do that.