Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti2 on my 2019 Outback tonight. I have the 3 in 1 transducer ... the one that looks like a giant hot dog. Here's a few things I learned along the way:

1. The transducer mounts easily and securely to the Guardian plate. It's a very clean installation; with the Hobie-supplied fairing plate, it looks like it belongs there.
2. Tying the Guardian plate bridle to the cockpit transducer cord is a PITA and best done with an assistant. You have to tie the knot high enough so that the transducer is fully retracted when you pull the cord from the cockpit. A little trial and error is all it takes and two pairs of hands makes it easier.
3. The small sheet metal screws holding the cable/hull access plug above the transducer are easy to drop in the hull :-(
4. There's a ton of extra transducer cable. You'll want to coil it up, zip tie it, and stow it in the hull.
5. The power cable is much shorter. If you use the Hobie battery holder like I did and zip tie the connections up high so they're not flopping around, you'll have just enough to make it to the head unit when mounted in the rear-most end of the track. If you want to move the FF up towards the bow, you might need an extension cable.
6. The 10ah Nocqua lithium battery fits in exactly one-half of the Hobie battery holder.
7. Don't be surprised when your touchscreen doesn't work after installation. The transducer needs to be in the water to close a ground loop. Here's a good Lowrance video on this subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knlUP4ckLu8. I wish I had seen this before spending an hour cussing out my touchscreen after installation.
8. Hobie's installation video was very helpful. I recommend you watch it prior to doing your own install.
9. YakAttack makes a more robust mounting solution than the Ram ball mount. Both offer a Lowrance-compatible mount.
10. The head unit ships with a hard plastic, removable Lowrance branded cover. It provides substantial screen protection for storage. Most online listings for the Ti2 don't mention the cover and I almost ordered one from Lowrance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

97redz3 wrote:
I installed a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti2 on my 2019 Outback tonight

Be aware that side waves are altered when mounting on the plate:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 40&t=64351

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not seeing this problem with my Lowrance TotalScan transducer. It is much thicker than the transducer shown in the video, extending well beyond the front nose plate of the Guardian. I placed a board across my hull so I could compare its lowest point vs. the transducer. The entire transducer dome (the shiny part) extends beyond the hull bottom from front to back. You can see this best in the 3rd picture below. I don't see any interference on my head unit at all ... I have a very clear image in both directions. I'm new to fish finders so maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't appear to be any physical obstruction of the TotalScan transducer from the Outback hull when mounted on the outside of the Guardian plate.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNMyr1Tbr9nUWPaRQl-yxyfdlnniDgmkb6BNBru
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPOweTxWeGY-RX-vS2wnAATC-tE36A4YZx6Utwb
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMBDJpXBynWUXzsjUgSixxasguhdtpRYaExYmxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

97redz3 wrote:
I'm not seeing this problem with my Lowrance TotalScan transducer. It is much thicker than the transducer shown in the video, extending well beyond the front nose plate of the Guardian. I placed a board across my hull so I could compare its lowest point vs. the transducer. The entire transducer dome (the shiny part) extends beyond the hull bottom from front to back. You can see this best in the 3rd picture below. I don't see any interference on my head unit at all ... I have a very clear image in both directions. I'm new to fish finders so maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't appear to be any physical obstruction of the TotalScan transducer from the Outback hull when mounted on the outside of the Guardian plate.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNMyr1Tbr9nUWPaRQl-yxyfdlnniDgmkb6BNBru
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPOweTxWeGY-RX-vS2wnAATC-tE36A4YZx6Utwb
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMBDJpXBynWUXzsjUgSixxasguhdtpRYaExYmxe

Cannot see your pictures.

But don't agree. I measured today with a board, transducer is nearly one inch below the hull.

Her's a snapshot on water 5 meter depht:

As you can see, after 15 meters there's a shadow.

Same depht but from a boat with transducer fully in water :

No shadow ( not on left because it's the shore )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

trying to post pics again ... not having much luck.

My transducer appears to be a different shape and thickness than yours. Mine has an almost 1" thick opaque layer supporting the transducer dome. That extra depth puts my transducer dome fully below the hull.

Last edited by 97redz3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With this shape should work fine.

That's what I had to do...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am having serious problems with my elite tI2 on my new Outback. On my Third unit returned from Basspro. Works fine to start and the loses the transducer and then the ai 3 in 1 is no longer available in the dropdown to choose as an option. Im going to try and call Lowrance on Monday, just wondering if anyone else has heard of this. Bass Pro has no idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've seen numerous reports of problems with the ti2 units. Did you get it resolved?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently installed the Elite-7 Ti2 w 3-in-1 Active Imaging transducer on my new 2019 Outback. Haven't gotten it to the water yet but have several questions.

After drilling the holes on the guardian plate and mounting the transducer, I noticed it is just a hair off of being straight. I am assuming this won't make a significant difference in the image.

I can't get the guardian plate to retract all the way up. I made several attempts at tying the cord shorter and it helped. I assume I need to keep making adjustments. I can't imagine that Hobie couldn't have designed an easier method.

Has anyone used the BerleyPro transducer shield? I am considering it just for peace of mind to protect the transducer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

weklwekl wrote:
I can't get the guardian plate to retract all the way up. I made several attempts at tying the cord shorter and it helped. I assume I need to keep making adjustments. I can't imagine that Hobie couldn't have designed an easier method.

I had a couple of false starts getting this adjusted correctly. One problem I encountered was when reassembling everything, I didn't have the cord aligned on the pulley wheel. Then I started adjusting my knot position on the lanyard. Mine does retract all the way now, but I kind of have to draw it tight then tighter ... it feels like its all the way up but with an extra tug it goes all the way up. Not sure if that's factory correct but its close enough for me and i get the desired full retraction now.