I fixed my Humminbird Helix 9" transducer on Hobie Guardian:

Unfortunately the hull on each side don't let waves stretch correctly:

Here you can see that transducer is half under the hull:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Solution...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's interesting, what does the graph look like now that you've offset it?

I have an elite 9 with SI and at the higher frequency I get what you have pictured with no detail further out, but I have been attributing that to being too deep trying to use too high a frequency. When I go to the lower frequency I don't have that issue which is the main reason I did not think the hull was in the way.

In fact because of this I'm always in the lower frequency since I'm typically in deeper (20ft+) water.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NC Angler wrote:

I have an elite 9 with SI and at the higher frequency I get what you have pictured with no detail further out, but I have been attributing that to being too deep trying to use too high a frequency. When I go to the lower frequency I don't have that issue which is the main reason I did not think the hull was in the way.

In fact because of this I'm always in the lower frequency since I'm typically in deeper (20ft+) water.

20 Fts is not deep at all...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

felvic wrote:
NC Angler wrote:

20 Fts is not deep at all...

Well, sounds like I've got some work to do then. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with NC Angler and would like to see a before and after picture with the same settings in the same conditions. I can't tell if the darkening is a settings issue, if some of the signal is really being blocked, if the bottom was rising up and then flattening off so that the darkening is what you want to see or if you are outside the main lobe at that angle and seeing a weaker sidelobe. There are a lot of explanations for what you have shown.

I think that the darkening is about 4' deep at 16'. That would be an angle of about 75 degrees on the SI. That may just be the limit of the transducer itself. I know the HB SI folks say set the range to 3x the depth. For your case everything looks great out to that range.

That being said I am sure lower the transducer a little will never hurt!

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pdxfisher wrote:
I think that the darkening is about 4' deep at 16'. That would be an angle of about 75 degrees on the SI. That may just be the limit of the transducer itself. I know the HB SI folks say set the range to 3x the depth. For your case everything looks great out to that range.!

The lobe angle is 86 degrees on SI. On 5 meters deep, it should "light" on 70 metres each side.
If you reduce the lobe to 70 degrees cause the hull, it's only 17 metres.

The SI lobe is always 86°, whatever frequency you use.
Only the Di lobe change from 75° to 45°...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting that!

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, new to the forum, I've just purchased a garmin striker 7sv and been reading a few posts with regards to Sideview, looking at the pictures im assuming its of a PA or outback, and what your getting at is the transducer is sitting to high and hitting the outer humps in the hull, my PA is a 2017 so i dont have the Guardian, however berley pro produce an after market adapter, this adapter has the bottom of the transducer sitting level with the outer humps in the hull.

This thread leads me to believe that this adapter will not work as intended and i would need to modify it to extend approximately another 25mm?

I tried to upload so pics but i don't know how this is done yet. Thank in advance for your replies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, new to the forum, I've just purchased a garmin striker 7sv and been reading a few posts with regards to Sideview, looking at the pictures im assuming its of a PA or outback, and what your getting at is the transducer is sitting to high and hitting the outer humps in the hull, my PA is a 2017 so i dont have the Guardian, however berley pro produce an after market adapter, this adapter has the bottom of the transducer sitting level with the outer humps in the hull.

This thread leads me to believe that this adapter will not work as intended and i would need to modify it to extend approximately another 25mm?

I tried to upload so pics but i don't know how this is done yet. Thank in advance for your replies

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone else had this issue?

Now I'm worried about using a BerleyPro side imaging transducer mount for my Compass.

@felvic Do you have any updated SI snapshots from the same spot?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

felvic wrote:
Solution...

Also what is that piece made from?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

benqueso wrote:
felvic wrote:
Solution...

Also what is that piece made from?

That is just a spacer, as it is not in the range of sound wave the transducer sends it can be made of just about anything, since my first post i have fitted the transducer using the berley pro transducer cover as my PA is not the current one, I've used the sidescan a few times and there seems to be no noticeable affect from it not being the lowest part of the hull, however I've only used sidescan in waters1.5-13m.

Don't quote me but after several searches i think i read that the angle of the beam produced by the garmin transducer is inside that created by the shape of the PA hull, this is something that everyone should check for the brand and type of transducer they use.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

benqueso wrote:

Now I'm worried about using a BerleyPro side imaging transducer mount for my Compass.

No problem with the compass as the hull is not same shape.

The piece is in extruded polystyrene...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

felvic wrote:
benqueso wrote:

No problem with the compass as the hull is not same shape.

The piece is in extruded polystyrene...

I don't have an Outback to compare it to but the hull looks about the same to me apart from the Guardian of course.

About how many more extra feet did your transducer mod give you out the sides?