Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback kickstand
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’ve been wondering if anyone else is having kickstand issues when loading or unloading their 2019 Outback. I Install the kickstand as per the instructions but as soon as I lift up the nose of the kayak my kickstand goes from vertical to horizontal and the Outback falls right onto the rudder. So this is what I’m having to do to ensure that the kickstand stays locked in place in order to not damage the rudder. ImageImageImage

Is anyone else having this issue and is it ok to use a strap to keep the kickstand from rotating while loading or unloading ?
(Matt, Roadrunner ?)
Thanks in advance
Kep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Outback kickstand
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mine is a bit difficult to install and remove but once it is "locked" into place over the rear carry handle, it is solid. But getting it off that carry handle, that takes some force.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes it’s a little tough to put the kickstand in and can be challenging to take off, I just wish mine would stay in position when I’m loading or unloading the kayak from my car. I think I’ve got it solved now with my strap lock, perhaps it will help someone else who is having the same issue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You definitely have to make sure that you don't pull forward on the kayak when the weight is on the kickstand. You can't drag forward even 6" or it will likely cause the stand to roll from its locked position. Keeping a slight push pressure on the front keeps the stand locked into position.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree PDX and it’s not like I’ve been dragging the kayak around the parking lot on the kickstand. I’m speaking of just lifting the nose of the kayak up to the roof of my vehicle to load it on the roof rack and the kickstand rotates dropping the weight of my kayak straight onto the rudder. The kickstand is an interference fit of sorts, by definition it does not lock , a car is locked, a window is locked, a gate is locked, a safe is locked, a door is locked, the kickstand however is definitely not locked.

lock verb
locked; locking; locks
Definition of lock
transitive verb
: to fasten the lock of
: to make fast with or as if with a lock
lock up the house
: to fasten in or out or to make secure or inaccessible by or as if by means of locks
: to fix in a particular situation or method
:to make fast, motionless, or inflexible

Once again the kickstand is not locked, and does not lock when inserted properly as per the kayak instructions, so I fixed it. Now mine is locked and will stay locked in position until I decide to unlock it. Over time I suspect others may have the same issue as their kickstand interference fit becomes worn from repeated use. By doing what I have done here to ensure my kickstand stays “locked” in place just might be helpful to others with this same issue at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the reply kepnutz, I agree that the kickstand is a friction fit and not a true lock. I had my kayak roll forward one time when I pulled on it just a little. Since then I have been really careful to keep a slight push pressure on the kickstand (helping it to stay in place) when I am loading and unloading. I load in and out of the bed of my pickup truck so I do not have a very hard load.

Also as you mention, I am concerned about the kickstand wearing out, but if mine does I guess I will buy a new one. Also, for me (loading from the bed of my pickup) I only use the kickstand at my house when putting the kayak in the garage. At the water, I can plug in my cart and it lifts the back end high enough that it protects the rudder and I do not use the kickstand.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

Post subject: Outback kickstand
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you for your input PDX !
Yea I wish I had a pickup truck PDX, I have to lift the nose up of my Outback straight up 5-1/2 feet using the front handle in order to rest it on the roof while also making sure it stays put. Once I see it’s safely positioned, I walk around to the stern and lift that end while pushing it forward onto the roof rack making sure it does not slide sideways and fall off the roof. I already have 3 vehicles, the Rav 4 pictured, a New Sienna and a Highlander, I did not want to add a truck to that pile since, I’m single or as I put it “Im not single I’m a free agent “ so I don’t need 4 vehicles. I’d rather spend a fraction of that on a new Revo 16 since I gave my Revo 13 to my fishing buddy. Anyway I put a lot of weight on that kickstand lifting it up that high and now I think I have a method of truly locking it in place so that should make things much better.ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kepnutz, your a life saver

I was wondering how I could fix the same issue, I go solo sometimes and loading sucks because just pulling the yak up to roof level makes that kickstand worthless.

I'm gonna try your workaround, I got an old thule yak strap i can sacrifice for the name of solo loading a yak with a horribly planned plastic kickstand.