Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought my 2019 Hobie Outback from dealer in March. Had to take it back to the dealer two weeks ago because the steering was extremely loose. So much so that I have to hold my hand on the steering just to stay straight. If I take my hand off the steering, the rudder kicks to one side and I go in circles. I picked up my kayak today after dealer told me it was good to go. Kudos to my dealer for recognizing it was under warranty and fixing me up. Well, I got my kayak back to my house and steering is just as bad as it was. Made a video to show how bad it is, hope the link works. If not search "2019 Hobie Outback Loose Steering" on YouTube.

I even tested the 2019 Hobie Kayaks at the dealer today, and they were much tighter than my "fixed" Hobie.

Disappointed is an understatement. I spent three grand on what I thought was a quality kayak and it spins in circles. I would hope that Hobie is the kind of Company to stand behind their product and help me get this fixed.

https://youtu.be/6DBNsPX_PQw

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Just needs to be tighter... if you want friction in the system.

Usually, they are piano wire tight from the factory and perhaps your dealer adjusts to what they think it should be. This is simple to do.

Rudder adjustments are on page 34 of the manual.

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/2019_Outback_Manual_v2.pdf#page=34

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Forgot to add my dealer could not fix it, so they had to send to another dealer. So thats two dealers that cannot do this "simple" fix.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took the Kayak back to the dealer and they said they would have to send it off for repair. If this repair is such an easy fix, why wasn't my dealer able to do it themselves? A week and half later I have my Hobie back and the problem is still unresolved. If it is so simple to do, why wasn't my dealer able to get it right, or atleast explain that it's something I can adjust on my own?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

I can't explain the expertise a specific dealer might have. They are not Hobiue specific dealers and carry many products. They all have Hobie sales reps that can do training and they have access to us at Hobie for help. Truly is frustrating I am sure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to give a lot of credit to the dealers for doing what they can to fix it. Obviously they were not able to make it happen. My question is Hobie willing to step up and make this right for me? It should be a simple fix for Hobie. There is a 3 year warranty on rigid hull and all components. Hobie warrants "free from defects in materials and workmanship". I do not see it falling under and of the items the warranty does not cover. I have already taken to dealer who said it was warranty work and did their best. I have friends with kayaks from 2010 that never had to touch steering and say its as good as new, yet this one doesn't last me 2 months.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

This is not a defect, but a tuning issue. Maybe even a bent rudder?

I'll ask Jacques, in warranty, to contact engineering for guidance and have him try and help.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I noticed in the video you posted, as soon as you release the rudder the left steering handle automatically turns quite a bit to the right. This suggests a tuning issue. Have a look at the Outback 2019 manual and tune the lines according to the drawing. Notice the steering lines operate independently of one another, so be sure to tune both left and right. Numbers in the drawing indicate which lines tune which handle. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I finally got it tuned for Memorial Weekend. Was tight and ready to go. Next morning when I put it in the water it was loose again. It was left in garage all night. About halftway thru the day it got tighter again out on the water, but not as tight as it was tuned previously. Same issue dealer had. Can get it tight but its loose again the next day. Is this normal and the expectation is to tune the rudder daily and even while out on the water?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These hulls expand in the sun/warmth and contract in cooler conditions......hence, the rudder lines do change tension over the course of the day.

If you set it up in cool weather, the lines will only get tighter as the day warms up.

IMHO, it's normal and not a big deal

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Maybe a better solution is something to create friction at the steering handle? A foam rubber washer between the hull and handle maybe?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:idea: Or add a rudder BOA to the Outback. It's an elegant, simple solution for adjusting the line tension :wink: .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just this month I purchased two 2019 Hobie Outbacks and love them! One had the loose steering problem after just a few outings and would sharply turn to the left if I took my hand off the steering while peddling, but the other Outback was fine and would not do this, so I had this kayak to compare to to know that the kayak had a problem. What I found fixed the problem was to simply tighten the Philips head screw in the center of the black plastic lid where the rudder lines are adjusted at the back of the kayak. I tightened this up snug (careful to not strip the plastic) and no more sloppy steering. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought a Hobie Outback 2019 and used it several times with no issues. Today we experienced the same issue of turning hard left (port) when the steering handle is released. The steering seemed very loose compared to before and also to a 2016 Revolution.

When I returned home I tried tuning per the manual but the steering was still very loose. I tightened the center screw and it seems to tighten up the steering although this was on land.

I am concerned that the screw will work loose again and feel this may be a design flaw. I plan to contact Hobie about this but would like to hear others experience.

Thanks, Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had this same issue. Lines were loose but that was not the issue. The center bolt at the steering handles were. Once this was tightened I could now set it in a direction and it would stay there. I did have to do this twice as it loosened again. I was going loctite it the next time but it has stayed proper since. This was 4 months and about 150hours on the water ago.