Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking at fishing kayaks for my first kayak. I like to trout fish on local river but does have exposed rocks and shallow shoals. It appears that the rudder on the outback does not fully retract. Do you see that as a problem in shallow water?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Arkansasdawg wrote:
Looking at fishing kayaks for my first kayak. I like to trout fish on local river but does have exposed rocks and shallow shoals. It appears that the rudder on the outback does not fully retract. Do you see that as a problem in shallow water?

I fish lots of shallow water at the edge of lakes, over rocks and submerged trees, plus over ocean jetty rocks, and have never had any issues with the drop down rudders (PA12 and new Outback) or twist and stow rudders (Oasis and i11s). The drop down are better because they are spring loaded and just bump up out of the way, then back down. The twist and stow need to be re-locked into the down position if they hit something hard enough.

Getting good at feathering the Mirage Drive fins is important, and the new Outback has a design change that moves the drive up a bit which protects it better and allows the fins to push tight against the hull.

cheers, roger

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have taken mine put a few times since I bought it. Rudder has been ok when I'm fishing.

But rudder still drags a bit pulling out of water at launch.

The block they give you is a really worthless because if you rooftop the yak and load with a single person, the block falls off because when you lift kayak it moves forward.

Right now, I have it iny.mind that i will need to change the rudder alot sooner than I wanted.