Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H-Rails
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those who have a PA or who have installed H-Rails, what is the benefit? I have a 2019 Outback and am new to Hobies and thought about installing H-Rails. But I don't know what the benefit is or would be? Are the clamps easier to move and remove the rod holders and other attachments? Is it just the ease of attaching other accessories? Are there any downsides you've personally encountered to Installing them? Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: H-Rails
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Major benefits are the easy "no-drill" installation and removal of accessories, in addition to the adjustability you get out of the 12-sided rail. Nice assortment of accessories available is a bonus, and the rails allow you to play around with different rigging configurations depending on the type of fishing you're doing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a PA and personally I'm not a fan at all of the H-rails. Yes the do offer no drill options but you pretty much have to add $25 to the cost of every accessory you buy for the h-rail adapter (for expample the rod holders I've purchased cost $25 then I had to buy the h-rail adapter so the would clamp on to the h-rail so my rod holder ended up costing me $50). Also the rod holders don't clamp on very solid. I've had a 10 lb catfish break my rod holder lose from the h-rail and almost lost a rod/reel and the fish (the rod holder was clamped on as tight as it possibly could've been). And they get in the way. Make it harder to land fish, net fish and get in and out of the boat. I would MUCH rather have gear tracks but that's must me.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jch89 wrote:
For those who have a PA or who have installed H-Rails, what is the benefit? I have a 2019 Outback and am new to Hobies and thought about installing H-Rails. But I don't know what the benefit is or would be? Are the clamps easier to move and remove the rod holders and other attachments? Is it just the ease of attaching other accessories? Are there any downsides you've personally encountered to Installing them? Thanks for your time.

Other than having something to hold onto, I'm not sure how the Pro-Angler H-rails would be of much value on a new Outback.

I'm not even mounting things on the H-bars standard on my Outback, if you look closely in this image, rigged for a combo crabbing/bottomfishing trip, you can see I've got a Scotty rod holder on the left and on the right side- tall Light/GoPro on a Scotty base, a Scotty rod holder, and Sonar. All of these are attached to the Gear-tracks.

better view of right side:

I have found these Scotty bases for the Gear-tracks to be really solid, especially if they are installed near the end of the track or near any of the mounting screws. (In between the plastic can flex and allow things to 'pop off'.)

http://scotty.com/product/no-438-gear-h ... k-adapter/

Last edited by rogerdodger on Wed May 22, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My old boat had tracks and I bought two of the Yak Attack Omega rod holders. Now, I'm trying to get those rod holders to mount on the H-Rail. Two Hobie universal mounts, two new Mighty Mount II mounts that mesh with the Omega rod holders and then the two rod holders. Hobie doesn't make a Mighty Mount II at this writing they only have the older Mighty Mount.

It might be cheaper to add Ram Mounts even though I already own two of the Omega Pro rod holders.