Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat Issue
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been very disappointed with Hobie this year, got my 2019 Outback in Feb as a replacement for a 2016, wow, what an upgrade!
However from first trip out I had issues with the seat. I always used my 2016 seat in what I call the mid position, with the front in high, I find this the most comfortable for my build when I’m spending all day on the water. On the 2019 however the mid position kept dropping to low, constantly. Watched loads of vids and did my research to check I was using it right. It wasn’t until I was at a competition a couple of months later where I had a number of 2019 units around me that I found the issue. The back of the seat base was so close to the bulkhead of the kayak that when I dropped the seat the foot pegs were sat on the rounded wall of the hull and this was popping them forwards under the seat. The back of the seat was actually touching the bulkhead on one side and had only a small gap on the other. On further inspection I found the blocks the seat bar sits on (that lifts the front of the seat up and down) were actually in different places, by a large margin! Three kayaks side by side at the Comp all had totally different gaps behind the seat and their blocks were in totally different places! I appreciate there will be slight differences due to the moulding process but this was more than I would expect, and in my case meant I couldn’t use the kayak as it’s designed to be used. I contacted my Hobie dealer who in turn contacted Hobie for a fix.
The fix turned out to be a pair of the blocks to replace those factory fitted but with new holes drilled into them! Needless to say this didn’t fix the issue as the holes again didn’t match where they needed to be to fit the seat without it rubbing the hull
I’ve since had the kayak swapped by my dealer, who I can’t fault for helping me with this. However I’m pretty shocked that this kayak even left the factory due to the fact that the seat was rubbing on the bulkhead, surely this would cause issues down the line had I not found it? I’m pretty upset that I’ve spent so much on a kayak, and I’m not close to my dealer (400miles!) and had to get it swapped for something that should have surely been picked up at build point.
My hobie dealer sent my serial number to Hobie to sort the fix, and they seemed to expect this to be the end of it
Has anyone else had issues with this?

Post subject: Re: Seat Issue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are some pictures of the problems i have had with the seat,
Hobie even knew they had a problem with certain serial numbers i was told but never informed any customers.

This is a photo of the fix Hobie sent.
The worst thing was the holes didn't even line up with the holes in the hull.