Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On Sunday, May 26, the cable that rotates the drive fins for reverse/forward snapped down in the drive near a pulley that holds 4 of those cables. The result is that only one fin now turns. The other is stuck in reverse. It was about a mile back, pedaling in reverse.

I contacted the dealer on May 28th after Memorial Day (in Texas - I'm in NYC) who stated that they would contact Hobie to make arrangements.

I followed up a few days later after not hearing anything and was told it could take 2-3 weeks for Hobie to respond and possibly longer for a resolution. This seems to be a very long time to handle this issue. I'm not really sure what to do to get back on the water. This time frame is way too long and I'll miss the end of striped bass season here. I've already missed several great fishing days on the water.

I understand that things break, but there should be some way to get this resolved in an expedient manner.

I've even considered just purchasing the parts, but the spine is $300 and I cannot remove the fins on the broken drive because the fin is locked in reverse. I'd appreciate any help at all to get my issue resolved quickly. Thank in advance!

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That does not sound right. Hobie was very quick to handle my drive issues. Mine was fixed in less then a week, so something does not sound right. Maybe talk with another dealer and see what they can do. I know once contact is made with Hobie they are quick to resolve any problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
was told it could take 2-3 weeks for Hobie to respond and possibly longer for a resolution.

Really? Who is your dealer? Parts can ship the same day if ordered by the dealer. Warranty is a bit slower in-season due to the increased overall volume of support loads this time of year but does respond within a day.

Since the drive appears to be out of warranty, at minimum, the guys would likely offer a highly reduced cost for a new spine.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)