Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone. New guy here from eastern Washington. Fish is a real passion for my wife and I. We have a typical 21' welded aluminum NW style boat we use the heck out of. We tow it quite a bit with a truck camper. We are wanting to get a couple kayaks to access parts of the Yakima River as well, and to use in other areas. I have a 16' trailer I think I will add a locked aluminum box to and put down some 3" conduit to carry a couple of kayaks. Put the seats and drives and such in the box. Would enjoy taking a road trip to Texas and Florida (where we travel to fish fairly regularly) with the RV and kayaks.

I'm thinking we will probably go with 2 new Outback's. They seem pretty ideal for us. I'm a little over 6', 225lbs. Would try to keep everything fairly minimalistic and light. I figured I can carry any extra weight like a small cooler. I thought about something like a Compass for my wife, but by the time you upgrade one to the 180 drive, the nicer square hatch in the middle, etc., it seems like the Outback is a better way to go?

From what I have read, it sounds like 3" conduit makes a good base for supporting the Outback hull down for transporting it? Would it hurt to store the kayaks on the trailer like that if the hull was well supported by the conduit? I saw a pdf of a manual page that suggested storing the kayak upside down, which I could do as well if needed. I'm a builder and developer, so I was planning on using the heavy grey 3" electrical conduit since we have it on hand.