Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Outback to Buy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! New member, and future OB owner. Ok, I am looking to buy my first Hobie and decided on an Outback. Below are my three choices:

$2000 2017 Hobie Outback for sale for $2000. I bought it new and have used it 3-4 times for camping trips. It has Boonedox landing gear with C-tug wheels. SeaDek matting installed, Garmin Striker 4 GPS/Fish finder, Sailing rudder upgrade, 180 Mirage Drive, Vantage seat, Square Hobie hatch upgrade, upgraded rubber mesh pockets, FeelFree blue camo insulated catch bag and a few other odds and ends. It has been used and does have some scuffs an scrapes as well as some red mud stains. The color is Ivory Dune with Caribbean blue/Blue Camo matting.

$2200 2015 hobie Outback with lots of upgrades. It has been well taken care of. Always washed after use and kept inside. Upgrades included with the boat for the price listed above:
- hobie drive turbo fin
- larger sailing rudder
- hobie cart with large beach wheels
- 2 rod tubes with leashes
- fully functioning Hobie livewell with battery and charger
- 2 yak attack mounts (1 at bow and 1 at stern)
- scotty flush mount rod holder with bazooka tube style rod holder
- lowerance elite 4 fishfinder with battery

Or a new 2019 model. I will use it for inshore, nearshore (reefs off the beach, and some fresh water.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Which Outback to Buy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

2019 Outback. just so many improvements over the earlier designs, I use mine similar to you, near shore ocean and large bay near ocean, just an amazing versatile boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you had the "leaky front hatch" issue with your launching and fishing off the beach?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Or, what issues at all have you had fishing it in the areas you have mentioned? A lot of what I have read states that it is well suited for inshore/protected/calm areas. I also have an opportunity to get a 2018 demo for $2000.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I send rogerdodger. I have a 2011 outback and a 2019. The 2019 is so much nicer.

- It floats level, the older outbacks float a little nose up. Some folks may like this since it is a little drier on the older outback but it is much noisier and did not track as well going into the wind. Nose wanted to wag.

- 2019 tracks much better and is faster by about .75mph (same effort by my judgement). Not as fast as a revo, but still much faster than the older hull.

- Not sure which drive but I love the 180 drive. I thought it was kind of pointless before I got it, but now you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

- Stability on both is amazing.

- The seat on the 2019 compared to the 2011 is amazing. I think all the models you are looking at have nice seats so this is may not be a difference.

- Rectangular center hatch is much nicer than the older circle hatches. Bone dry storage.

- The layout of the cockpit and tankwell are really nice with the built in tracks and storage cutouts. I feel like I have an infinite amount of room when I am fishing. The old outback layout was good, this is just better and bigger in just about every way.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would add the drop down rudder and steering control on both sides as 2 more advantages to the new Outback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 2017 comes with the 180 deive and a bunch if other add ons. I think I am going to scratch the 2015

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sistm wrote:
Have you had the "leaky front hatch" issue with your launching and fishing off the beach?

I got an early 2019 Outback and the lower seal on the front hatch didn't make contact all the way around. The fix is adding a second seal to the underside of the hatch lid, my dealer had that seal sent directly to me from Hobie when they released them, I added that seal and no leaks since. I'm guessing they have probably added the seal on the hatch lid as a standard item now.

Video below from my most recent trip near the mouth of CoosBay, at 2 minutes in this video, GoPro got us crashing through a set of wind waves that drenched the bow and pushed the crab pots back a bit, we ended up crashing about 10 sets of waves like this. Back home, there was a bit of water inside the kayak (like 1/2 cup) that came from me shoving crabs in there. cheers, roger

https://youtu.be/kryRfrFoK3o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info and sharing the video Roger. Looks like you are definitely enjoying your Outback!