Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

Hope you are safe.

Will be 1 year next month owning the OB2019 and o far this has been a great kayak. Didn't have much time as i wished to be out with her but for the few times, it's been a real pleasure.
Last month wile loading and unloading, i felt the rear handle start moving. Did't really paid attention to it as it felt rock solid since day one.
Until upon washing the kayak and drying before storage (I fish saltwater) i noticed it was moving even more and could even see the insert / backing things when pulling it an angle.
Reported the case to the local dealer who in turn reported it to their regional distributor in France. First log was on the 2nd of July and till now heard nothing from them.
The only thing they asked was, how i stored my kayak, how i transported it. Sent them a bunch of photos with clear explanations.
I store my kayak upside down as recommended in the manual with weight distributed in thirds. Covered with a kayak cover as i am often away and out of the sun.
Transport it either on a Thule roof rack with kayak carrier or a trailer with same system mounted onto.
I have only 15-30km trip and lucky to have the beach meters from unloading / loading parking. I transport it with a buddy empty (even empty this thing weigh a bit)
I always thought the front handle will snap someday as this is just a cord but the rear really disappointed me. Perhaps mine missed the necessary backing late from factory.

Here are some photos at different angles of the rear handle at the hull base. Today i can't use the kayak as am afraid it will come off while handling it.

Perhaps experts here can give their thoughts.

Matt? Anything you came across from Hobie France?

Thanks to all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like it was pulled out of the hull.

France does not consult us about warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes.
True i had to bend it a little bit to have the photo.
Never paid close attention when it started moving the fist time i noticed it.
And i never used this loader plastic thing as i tried getting it once on the handle and it will not get into place.
Since day one i put it away as i never load alone and use the side handles to load from the side of the trailer.
Will wait for them to answer. But def an issue with how that handle might be retained from the inside of the hull.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Looks like it was pulled out of the hull.

France does not consult us about warranty.

Thank you Matt.
Which means they have their own warranty support department?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Yes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Updating on this.

Kayak was returned to the local dealer for a close examination and they agreed about the fact that this area is soft and the insert is being pulled out of the hull.
They reported same to Hobie France who in turn is playing hide and seek with his case. They don't want to stand behind the product and is proposing repairs to be done - which does not offer any sort of warranty to the job.
The dealer tried to remove the insert, one came off and he was able to heat this area, place the insert back and bolt again but it remains soft - so will fail again later.
The other side cannot be unscrewed as the insert just turn inside the hull.

The dealer is still pushing for the warranty claim which they do not agree with.

This is very frustrating paying that much to get a good support after, only to find that the distributor does not honour his engagements!!
My next step will be to report them to the local Customer Protection institution here who will sue them for non-respect of warranty terms and conditions.

I also seek help and support from the Hobie website twice, wrote on the contact form but no-one ever reverted back to me.