Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being so new to Hobie's, after my second trip out yesterday I noticed this little o-ring sticking out from the starboard side rudder line. I have been trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and came up empty. It does look like the line is causing some deformation to the plastic which Im not sure if normal wear and tear or if the lines are too tight.

Is this little o-ring going to cause future problems down the line? I definitely need help figuring out tension of the rudder lines because I do think they are a little too tight. It still is under warranty as I bought it 3 weeks ago from someone who purchased it new in November 2020 and did not even take the plastic off. Dealership is down the road from me so I will bring it to them if necessary. Hope someone can help, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it looks like the lines are too tight. The O Ring is supposed to ride inside the tube as a water gasket. Not critical. Likely cut due to the high tension on the lines. Loosen them up a bit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be contacting a nearby dealership for further inquiries tomorrow.

I see the o-ring is product # 81403. Is there a specific part that I could replace entirely such as 81405001 (tuber holder) and 81405101 (end cap)? I'd rather loosen the lines and fix the part than work with what I got.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

LINE AND TUBE ASSEMBLY
80025001 LINE CONTROL ASSY. LINE IN TUBE WITH END CAPS (1)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Yes, it looks like the lines are too tight. The O Ring is supposed to ride inside the tube as a water gasket. Not critical. Likely cut due to the high tension on the lines. Loosen them up a bit.

Hello Matt,
Are the “O” rings simply floating within the tube and seated in a fixed location? The flared end of my tubes had either chipped or string cut damage. I simply cut about an inch off and used a tubing tool to flare the end. This worked fine for the control line function but compared to the stock tapper, my flared ends are much more prone to water intrusion. I thinking about replacing the lost or damaged “O” rings with a squirt of expansion foam in the tube. I can’t see that so much water is going to come in to be a threat but it makes sense to try and limit it from entering.