Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My drive started making noise intermittently the last couple of trips. Then yesterday it started squeaking about 5 miles from home, but really loudly. About 4 miles from home the idler cable frayed and slipped free. The drive was just as loud and squeaking as before. I took it out and inspected it carefully. It appears to be out of alignment on the fin blocks. I stopped by my local dealer Harvey Cedars Marine and bought a new idler cable went home and disassembled the drive. Some of the needle bearings were flattened on two sides and some appear to be missing. I need to know how many of each length needle bearings are required. I would like to buy and replace all the needle bearings in this drive. Not finding a needle-bearing kit in Hobie parts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpinfisherBob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:02 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The squeaking can be a few things; worn/broken bearings, lack of lubrication, or debris in the sprockets. All 2019+ boats come with a 3 year warranty. The idler cable would be covered under warranty. When you took apart you drive it's possible that the roller bearings from the drums fell out. Those can be put back in place when rebuilding he drive. The drums require 15 bearings each - PN81156401. The bearings inside the sprockets are not a finished good. Therefore, any damage to the sprockets would require a spine replacement. You can take your drive in to an authorized Hobie dealer for closer inspection and a possible warranty claim.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you so much ! All of your comments are correct except for the missing bearings. This boat was a demo and evidently had been disassembled before, unbeknownst to me at the time. The fin block shows extreme wear. I have only 600 gps miles on this kayak so I know now I bought it with some problems. Hopefully Harvey Cedars Marine has the parts I need. I bought this from another dealer last year. It is a 2020 Hobie Outback. The last time I broke an idler cable was 2008 on a V1 drive. That was after 2,800 gps miles. I have taken Hi-res pictures of the failed parts. The needle bearings are especially cute with flat sides.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

New spine. I have heard of some fabricating the bearings, but we don't supply them. The races inside the drive are likely equally worn. You can request a spine via warranty. At the least they would sell at a deep discount.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
New spine. I have heard of some fabricating the bearings, but we don't supply them. The races inside the drive are likely equally worn. You can request a spine via warranty. At the least they would sell at a deep discount.

Thank you again for your "spot-on" advice. Spoke with my local dealer, showing him the disassembled drive. The races showed significant wear. He had a new spline for the V2 without kickup fins so we need to find the part number for a spline complete with the kick-up fins and get it ordered. Keep up the great service during this Covid production backup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:42 am 
Site Admin

81541 SPINE ASSY, MD180 KU

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Parts are on the way! Thank you so much for your outstanding help.