Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Older outback hull check
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All,

I'm new to the community and I just picked up an old 2005-ish Outback. Before I start rigging it out I'd like to get this forum's advice.

Shortly after I got it home I noticed a decent sized crack on the underside where the sailing rig "scupper hole" terminates. Photos below.

I've been out on water with it once for a couple hours without any issues, but I worry it's not sustainable nor safe for bigger water.

I know these older models are prone to issues with cracking around the drive well but this one seems fine in that area.

Do folks think this crack could be repaired? Should I save my time and money for a later model and re-sell this one for what I can (with a disclosure about the hull, of course)?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow I hope the vendor told you about that when you bought it! If not I would be inclined to talk to them about getting your money back.

That type of crack is from being stored wrongly, and it looks like at some stage it has had a patch over the top of it.

In another thread here somebody said they repaired a crack by fibreglassing over it. I'm not sure how long that would stick though, especially in that position where it is vulnerable to being dragged over sand etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mahi wrote:
Wow I hope the vendor told you about that when you bought it! If not I would be inclined to talk to them about getting your money back.

That type of crack is from being stored wrongly, and it looks like at some stage it has had a patch over the top of it.

In another thread here somebody said they repaired a crack by fibreglassing over it. I'm not sure how long that would stick though, especially in that position where it is vulnerable to being dragged over sand etc.

I did a poor job inspecting the hull when I bought it off Craigslist. He had it stored properly with a strap around it on a hoist when I looked at it. After I noticed the damage I messaged him and managed to claw back some $$ so I'm only out $450.

A user on a different forum thought I could probably drill the ends of the cracks and plastic weld it back together. I ordered the Hobie welding kit, so I think I'll give that a try. After watching some youtube it definitely seems doable

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assuming the inside of the hull is accessible at the crack, this is fixable by plastic welding. It does take some practice and patience. Your Hobie dealer should know people who can do this if you don't want to tackle it your self. Otherwise get the Hobie KC welder and have a go. Search the forums and you can find instructions but the general steps are as follows and there are several youtube videos of the process.

1. Drill 2 small holes at the ends of the crack to terminate it.
2. Push the hull around the crack in flush with the hull.
3. Sand around the crack (inside and outside hull) to get rid of any foreign matter.
3. Clean both sides good with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
4. With the hot iron make a small "vee" groove into the crack on both sides using the edge of the iron. Move just fast enough to melt a shallow groove.
5. Optional but strengthens repair: If you can on the inside of the hull, outside if not, weld an appropiate size/shape of the mesh patch material over the crack (comes with welder). Just hold it in place and push on it with the iron and it will sink into the plastic. Just make it flush, no deeper.
6. Inside the hull - Using the plastic rod stock build up the material in and around the crack. Heat the target area first then weld in material. Work slow and on a small piece at a time. The iron has a hole for pushing the rod as it melts but I prefer to cut the rod into short pieces and apply directly to the preheated surface and then place the iron on it. Build the area up about 1/16".
7. Do the same on the outside of the hull.
8. Once cool, sand smooth and clean again.
9. Carefully running a heat gun over the repaired area will bring back the sheen if you care. (Your sheen looks long gone.)

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow thanks Peter that's a very useful reply. Hope I never get a crack but mine is an older Hobie, if it ever happens to me I know what to do now :)