Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locking my kayak
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any suggestions on how to best secure my kayak in the bed of my pickup truck? I have seen videos of cable bicycle locks being defeated pretty fast. Is that about all the security I can expect in an open bed truck?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Locking my kayak
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most padlocks and cable locks are easily defeated with an inexpensive pair of bolt cutters. A cable lock may deter casual/juvenile opportunity theft but not the pro thief who's primary income comes from reselling other people's stuff.

A more serious solution would be a lock like the Master Lock Magnum or Pro Series combined with a heavy duty, hardened steel hexagonal link chain of the largest thickness you can get into the lock. Even with very good bolt cutters this is a difficult combo to cut. Route the chain through the Mirage drivewell. Of course, you'll need an appropriate secure fitting in your truck bed to also route the chain.

What you are attempting to do is reduce the odds of your stuff being stolen. The more effort required, the lower the odds. Just know there will always be that one over-prepared guy who can get your kayak no matter what.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Locks with toughened chains that cannot be cut with bolt cutters can be purchased. Cost more, but the chain is as hard as the teeth on the bolt cutters, and the teeth will give out first.

They can be cut with an electric grinder but to do that will create noise and look pretty obvious it would attract attention.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Locks like the Master Lock Magnum are NOT secure (just do a search on YouTube for " How secure is the How secure is the Master Lock Magnum") and you'll see how easy it is for a thief to defeat this lock. Invest instead on a true secure lock such as the Abloy series sold by SecuritySnob.com. They are expensive, but they have different shackle width and variable shackle height (to allow for large chains) and are exceedingly difficult to crack.

Last edited by xavier on Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Besides a good lock, have a camera visible and my favorite is a movement-vibration alarm.