Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Forgive me if this is something thats been beaten to death but i have to ask.
First time poster, but I’ve lurked for a while and just recently got my 2022 HOBIE Outback! I’ve always been a shore/boat fisher but rented a few kayaks and liked them and then rented a HOBIE over the 4th of July and had to get one. So here we are.

Im very excited but I’m concerned about transporting it.

I had a set of J racks originally and I really didnt like how the whole thing worked, it just didn’t feel stable enough. Next I got some pool noodles (at the suggestion of this forum) and have put the outback on the car (2020 outback) and I like it much better. But I am looking for your guys seal of approval for transport.

My Kayak does not live on the car, it will only be on there for 1-2 hours while we/i get to our destination. Otherwise I know storing it upside down is the correct thing to do. Admittedly getting it upside down on top of the car is difficult and I’m not comfortable doing that yet.

I also dislike using the eyelet up front to secure the front straps to the car, I know it’s not made for that but I also know the front straps don’t need to be super tight.

here are some photos of how I have it setup. Any advice?
Thank you in advance!

Sorry I am on an iPad and am not sure how to share pictures on here yet so here is just a Dropbox link.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dridtm6tll36ap/AABK5drUB-snyQcndWHGWycua?dl=0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like you may have a tow hitch. I have bought a Boonedox Tailbone for my outback and it sure helps with loading (upside or rightside) especially upside down. I throw down a rubberized floor mat to protect the front of the yak while loading. this way you only lift one end at a time- makes it very easy. https://www.boonedoxusa.com/product-page/tailbone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having owned a 2010 Hobie Outback and car topped it on my old 2007 Subaru Outback, I used a Yakima rack system to carry the hull upright as you are doing.

Per your photos, I see nothing wrong except suggesting moving the hull forward so there is less rear overhang and then use a single line from the bow carrying handle over the front of the hood, but first insert the line through a pool noodle to protect the paint/grill on the hood.
Then secure the bow line underneath the car.
This line does not need to be tight but just take the slack out of it.

I secured the stern to my trailer hitch and again don't wrench down on this line either.

The straps you are using should be plenty strong to keep the hull from going airborne on the road.