Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need some advice on the best method to transport my Hobie outback 2022 from Oregon to Loreto Mexico, Baja Sur. The drive distance is approximately 1800 miles and will be accomplished over a 4-day period. From the San Diego area to my final destination will only require one night time stop.

I am driving there with my Outback this coming December for a 5 month stay. I will be driving my 2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2. The pickup has a hard camper shell and the weight of the outback is no problem for the shell. I have a rhino rack crossbar system on the shell. Since the pickup bed is 5 ft 3" the camper shell is also 5 ft 3". The maximum distance apart that I can position the vortex crossbars is approximately 43" center to center.

I purchased a hobby cradle set which is mounted on the crossbars. Putting the kayak on top into the cradle is no problem for short half day trips. I am concerned about the upcoming multi-day trip. These are my questions.

1 . Is it best to use the Hobie cradle set this 4-day trip or would it be better to take the cradle set off and mount the Hobie Outback upside down on the cross bars? Of course I would remove the chair and anything else. I would pad the crossbars.

2. If I transport the Hobie upside down and because I'm limited on spacing the Hobie rest on or near the H-Rail system on both side would that be a problem?

3. I could cut a section of 1/2" plywood size matching the Hobie and mount the plywood on the cross bars, Pad the plywood with rubber or carpet, and then place the Hobie on it upside down. Would this be better than just on the cross bars? It seems like that would certainly distribute the weight across a larger surface on the Hobie.

For security I plan on putting a cable through the drive hole and securing it to the vortex rack and any other point like maybe the handles of my pickup and then putting a security lock on it. I'm trying to figure out how to protect the Hobie from possible rocks flying up and hitting it so if anyone has an idea please let me know.

Your ideas for safety and Security will be greatly appreciated. Of course not only do I need to drive it there but I would return next May so I would use the same solution coming back. Very big trip. But I think using my Outback for inshore fishing in Baja will be a blast.

Thank you for any suggestions or helpful hints you may have.

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Upside down is best, and according to the Hobie manual, 2 crossbars are enough. Me though, I would feel better with more crossbars if possible, and put padding on them. Apparently putting a crossbar support where the rails are is not a problem.

As an aside I'm just curious, how do you intend to do this 4 day trip with just a one night stopover? Sounds a little dangerous?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I meant that the one night is actually in Mexico about 150 mi south of ensenada, Guerrero Negro. We most likely you take 3 days traveling from Oregon to San Diego. So we'll have two or more nights on the road for a total of three.

What about the idea of a 1/2-in plywood support underneath the upside down Outback. Of course I would Pat it with most likely rubber. There's a large store in town that carries large sheets of rubber so I can buy what I need to place on the plywood. I thought about carpet but if it did rain then carpet can get wet wear rubber repels the water. I intend to UV code with 303 UV coat solution the whole of the kayak. The sun beating down on it for 3 or 4 days is not best however I'll protected.

I can certainly purchase another crossbar. But again the maximum distance between crossbars on my camper shell is about 43 to 45 in. Maybe I will purchase one thamount on the crew cab second row door frame. My crossbar system is rhino rack and I'm using the vortex crossbars. I will have lots of room inside the pickup bed camper show area the drive and all kinds of stuff. Fishing rods will need to ride on top of the rack next to the kayak in a tube and I will take those to my room each night.

I'm excited about fishing throughout Southern Baja on both the Sia Cortez side and on the Pacific side at Magdalena Bay.

Again if anyone has input or ideas they are all appreciated. Thank you for your help.

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure plywood would do much. it does bend, although, it might do something. If wanting to provide longer support, maybe a couple of wooden planks running lengthwise, the crossbeam across those? If you got your 2 crossbars 40 + inches apart, then there would only be 4'ish feet overhang each way

Re the UV protection, Hobie use incredibly UV resistant material. My Hobie outback is 9 years old and has lived outside it's whole life, and is still just as brightly colored as a brand new one. No discernible UV deterioration at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

they guy that runs my Hobie shop runs his outback upside down on the bars of his carpenter rack for months on end. he just uses those regular bar pads you see the surfers use.

he says he puts it in right side up and then climbs into the bed to flip it upside down. he's been doing this for at least the 3 years I've known him.

I would do that! and awesome trip bud!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Could you use a "T-BAR" in the rear hitch?