Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is an excerpt from my response for more information from a forum member.

"We were able to rent the passports in the 10.5 and 12.0 before I made the decision to buy one. Im a big guy so I felt better in the 12.0 but the 10.5 worked fine too. I just wanted the extra capacity for any future possible use. After over a dozen trips out since receiving the new kayak I can say I am happy. So far we do protected coastal waters here in Southern California. Harbors, bays and marinas. I have no problem with wind, chop or boat wakes. This is a pretty stable platform to build on. After picking up the kayak I found the center hatch not closing properly. It was an easy repair to disassemble and correct the seal that was pinched and rolled over. I did this myself. The seat is comfortable enough for me to sit in up to three hours before I need to adjust or stand up. Pretty good for an entry line seating system. The seat does pop loose when sitting down or when you lean forward to remove the mirage drive. This happened on the rental units too and I understand Hobie is aware of the problem with the rear latch that holds the seat in. Its a real nuisance but can be worked around with a little effort. The updated mirage drive is better than the rental units were. They did not have the kick up fins or bearings like the 2021 drive has. I could have upgraded to the 180 drive for $300 but didn't feel needed and still don't. The turning radius is small and tight when you are moving forward but from a stand still it takes longer to react and you'll need a slightly bigger area to complete a turn.

I feel the entry price of this kayak is the best out there for what you get. Having access to all of the aftermarket accessories makes it a no brainer to me. Use it for fishing or just having fun. Mention Hobie and someone has a part that fits your need. I may try adding a sail later this summer.

FYI- I rented the Hobie Compass too. Its a step up from the Passport for three reasons.
1. Better seat - Maximum time I spent in this seat was 2 hours but it doesn't pop out.
2. Deployable Rudder - this is really nice when launching in shallow water
3. 180 Mirage drive - New for 2021, Wasn't on the rental units.

I might upgrade at some time but I have 90% of what is needed to enjoy my time out on the water now. "

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the review. Good to know about the seat, hadn't heard that before.

Anyone else have a passport they want to review?