Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Mirage Passport 12’. Just bought it last week, the 8” hatch it comes with doesn’t have a bucket liner to put my belongings in. Hobie looks like they have a bucket liner to go with it but why does it have that notch takin’ out of it(U shape)? Would like to upgrade to the rectangular hatch but it is $130 bucks and I’m tryin’ to avoid that, for just a few pieces that come with it. Will that bucket liner work with the 8” hatch that comes with my Passport 12?Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I got one for my '21 passport 12 and it fits. Pretty sure shallower bucket brochure # was 71704001 . fits 8" hatch and has removable dividers. I opted for the deep bucket which fit well with depth to spare and also fit when I moved round hatch to bow. Guessing the notch is for easy removal and to accommodate the latch. I am wondering if you could attach a thin bungee or string to the little grommets at notch to attach to any rarely used items you store down farther in hull? Idk but it seems like hobie has thought of all sorts of things when it comes to accessories so I get the higher price.
I am very happy with my decision to get the rectangular hatch, but I like all the extra storage, may not be important to you.
Deep round bucket at just over 5" height fits 4 beverage cans, my phone and keys. There is a tiny bit of give to the plastic, so with heavier stuff (4 beverage cans) on hot days I would consider keeping lid on or support from underneath with a towel or foam (inner hull space on mine 9" deep in spots in bow). Haven't had any problems after several summer outings with no extra support.
Yeah $30 is a lot for a small piece of Tupperware; but for me if it makes storage easier, fits, works and I don't have to make multiple trips to the boxstore and make modifications-it is worth it. I think there is also a three pack with case (although maybe just fit two? I measured hatch lip to bottom of hull @ ~6" in center hatch area) in the hobie kayak accessories brochure that may fit you better. Have fun

Last edited by Kswim on Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased the bucket liner for my '21 Passport 12 and it last exactly 1 trip before I gave it to my buddy who has a 10.5. The notch severely limited storage space and when I placed my waterproof case for phone, wallet and keys I no longer had room for even my pliers. Moreover, I wanted to leave the bucket inside but while flipping the yak to store it, the bucket fell out and dumped the contents inside the hull.

To solve the problem I bought a lightweight 25L dry bag and sewed in a steel ring which I bent to fit the hatch lip. As I added the steel ring about half way down the bag, I can still close the bag when not in use and remove it if desired. The extra storage allows me to put my phone case, pliers, lip grip, dehooker, bait knife and all my tackle in the hatch. Cost me $15 and some time but far better solution.

Sorry, can't figure out how to attach an image.