Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I am enjoying my passport so much we are considering getting a second. Surprised how much garage space the suggested upside down storage of one takes, and the pipe foam beneath shows considerable dents.

Lots of hobie advertising that the passports are stackable for transport and storage, but website says to consult owners manual for dual storage. Unfortunately there is nothing in owners manual about stack storing two of them. Maybe there isn't enough longterm data yet to advise on?

Can you stack/store 2 of them overwinter upside down in a protected environment?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I am pathetically replying to my own post, but received information that may help others:

Recently someone who really knows hobies told me that it shouldn't be an issue to stack two passports on top of each other upside down on the 2x4 method for overwinter storage. We are considering getting a second and will use this method if we do. (for what its worth: before getting mine I saw the dolley carts people made for their hobies and thought it looked like a lot of time versus sawhorses - but after seeing all the space mine took up, I made a moveable cart out of an old long ottoman frame and it is great to be able to move in, out and around garage)

Everything official I have seen from hobie recommends storing passports upside down on rails and supporting with cross bars, e.g two 2x4s from rail to rail on saw horse. My guess is this is preferred because they are thermoformed versus rotomolded. The manual also suggests to "hang upside down with wide strapping", but it pictures hoops, not straps so I find that a little confusing.