Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently tried out my new sail on my hobie passport 10.5 and the sail keep pulling out of the mount until it finally cracked at the insert tube. It was very light wind and the shock cord was attached. It seems like the part 77800053 is backordered and was looking to see if anyone knew who might have it in stock. Also, seems like there is alot of play in the mount and pole that fits in it, any suggestions on how to correct it so it doesn't work it's way out under sail ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe the tube was originally incorrectly inserted in the bottom guide?

(I own a Passport 12, I think it's the the same system as the 10.5, very easy to misalign the tube at the bottom and screw it like this)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a new 2022 passport 12 with the sail kit and it have just discovered that the mast receiver for the kayak is missing, and the top black plastic mount piece is also cracked. I assume the cheap plastic tube is still somewhere in the hull... which I can't get to without cutting a hole for a new bow storage box.
Even when this inferior design and product is replaced,
I can't see this sail mount lasting under extreme sailing conditions.
Has anyone had success sailing with the 10.5 or 12 without a hack fix?
Your opinion will be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

The part threads into the boat from outside / top.

If there is a black part on top... that would be it.

On a passport it is #

Tube Accessory Mount 77800053
Tube Accessory Gasket 77800066

This sail kit is NOT designed for extreme sailing conditions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is concerning. Good to know. Ive Been sailing in a passport 12 for two years..no problem with this part. The only issue is the undersized stock rudder. The passport actually rises up on plane fairly easily and the stock rudder does not hold a course. It rounds up.. So I have to let sail out to gain rudder bite. I ordered the new oversized rudder two months ago and am still waiting. Any news on when the large rudder is coming back in stock?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am glad to here that you have no issues with the Mast Receiver on your PP 12.
Dealer is sending a warranty replacement. I also want the upgraded rudder... it can't be found anywhere at this time.
I can't wait to get out water and see how this sail kit performs.
Do you have a cam cleat set up for you main sheet release?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Addressing Mast Receiver question on PP 12 with Matt?
Trying to figure out the Mast Pole alignment into the Mast Receiver that you brought up. Once the Mast Pole is placed down into the Receiver and stops, and bungee sail vang is attached... that's it?
The two screws on top of the black Mast Plate/Receiver Holder into the topside hole is the only method of stabilizing the Sail Mast Pole.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You have to start lowering the tube and move it delicately so as to feel that it is well aligned in the bump, and then continue to lower it to the bottom and screw after.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all your responses.
Now that I opened the front Bow and replaced the cut out with the 8" storage hatch. I can now see exactly how the mast receiver setup works when properly seated into the plastic ball at the bottom of the hull. With this addition, it allows for greater storage capacity and the ability to monitor the receiver status from time to time.
It was unfortunate that the dealer sold me a new PP 12 with broken mast receiver. A very crazy and unexpected circumstance for the family sailing vacation when we put the new kayak into the water with the new sail kit. Pedaling is fun, but I purchased the the craft to sail. The positives that came out from my initial frustrations and dilemma of the product, is that I learned a lot about the Hobie Co.. products, accessories, and this forum... and I am glad I worked through the process, and I kept this great and solid vessel.
The only thing a need now, is the upgraded XL rudder to enhance the experience even more.