Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Passport 10.5, inside the hull, the steering cable is snapped out of the steering handle. I can't figure out how to secure them together without marine silicone.
does anyone has a better suggestions or is there a part I can order?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

The passport uses a push rod for steering. The plastic end part snaps onto the internal steering. The plastic part if loose from the rod can be epoxied back on.

Parts guide shows the connection: https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/Passport_10.5_and_12.0_2021_Parts_Guide.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The passport uses a push rod for steering. The plastic end part snaps onto the internal steering. The plastic part if loose from the rod can be epoxied back on.

Parts guide shows the connection: https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/Passport_10.5_and_12.0_2021_Parts_Guide.pdf

Thanks for the reply. So the only way to connect them again is to use epoxy or some kind of glue?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Depends on if the plastic part is broken? If not it should simply snap back onto the steering part inside the boat. If loose from the fiberglass rod... then glue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem. I'm not sure "snapped" is the correct term. Nothing appears to be broken. The tube just won't stay in the steering assembly. Attached is a photo of my other kayak the way it's supposed to be.

[https://flic.kr/ps/3Wgyvp][/img]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sure hope someone can help me. On my Passport 10.5 the steering push rod is snapped about 8 inches from the rudder. Is there any way to repair OR replace? I cannot seem to find this part anywhere online. The Hobie parts diagram it refers to a steering rod assembly part number, 77800041 but i can't locate anywhere online. Have not found any videos which show this kind of repair. Please advise. thank you

I would like to clarify, the rod is broken in half. I have ordered a new one from Hobie through a parts dealer locally.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our 16-month old Passport lost steering due to the steering control rod coming out of the steering assembly (inside the hull). When I checked more closely, it *seems* that there had been a little rubber grommet/sleeve over the end of the rod to let it fit securely into the steering assembly. I say that because I found a little grommet in there on the end of the disconnected rod, but nearly half of it broken away. And, of course, merely slipping the end of the rod (without the grommet) into the assembly wouldn't stay on.

Assuming I am correct about this, is there a way to merely purchase these little grommets? I *can* epoxy it, but that seems extreme.

My greater concern, though, is that I have two more Passports (only 5 months old) and one (2.5-year old) Outback. If this one failed in only 16 months, I fear the others will as well. I certainly don't want to be way out on the water and have it fail on me. Perhaps I need to keep some spare grommets (or epoxy) with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:35 am 
Site Admin

https://www.hobie.com/support/mirage-passport/

https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/Passport_10.5_and_12.0_2021_Parts_Guide.pdf

You would just need to talk to a dealer to get them to order for you.

The repair is pretty easy. Remove the grommet at the back. Un-snap the fitting from the steering arm side of the hull. Use a camera to see what it is. Pull the rod forward into the hull. Slide the new rod into the hatch and out the aft hole near the rudder. Snap the fitting to the steering arm, install the grommet and connect to the rudder and adjust. Swin the steering handle left and right to find the center point. Hold. Place the rudder in the center and tighten the rod to the rudder fitting.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)