Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased 2 Hobie Passport 12, with sails and sidekicks for each of them. I installed the sidekicks using Hobies video as a reference. The center bar that gets bolted to the kayak is too short, the ends of the bar are recessed in the mounts. Because of this I had to oval out the holes in the center bar because the bars on the sidekicks will not fit through the mouning bracket, Also the button you need to push down when connecting the bars togeter needs to be pushed using a knife or other flat object because the center bar is recessed, This is true for both sides and both Kayaks. I am very dissappointed with this product for the money spent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not fully understanding the issue without photos. Were you unable to install the mounts nearly flush with the outside of the center pole as shown in Hobie’s installation video? In the video maybe 1/4 inch of the center pipe extends beyond the mounts.

https://youtu.be/nsnyOmSND38

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agreee, in the video at 2:47 there is about 1/4 inch of the center bar extended out through the mounts. But at 4:16 the the center bar is perfectly flush with the mounts. At 7:27 in the video it shows both sidekicks mounted on the Passport, but it does not look as if the starboard sidekick locking button is going through the hole on the center bar. The center bar on both of my sidekicks is recessed about 1/4 inch maybe less, this makes it impossible to mount the sidekicks without modifying the center bar, if I move the mounts closer to the center of the Passport they will no longer rest flat on the mounting surface. Other options I have is to slide the center bar more to one side so I could install one sidekick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
slide the center bar more to one side

You should be able to slide to one side to make both buttons work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I should keep the ceter barloose enough to slide it back ad fourth?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Slide to one side to expose both button holes and then tighten.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the issue is that the center rod is already shorter than the distance between the outer edges of the two mounts. This means when you push down the ama tab and slide it into the mount, it won’t go easily over the edge of the center rod inside the mount.

I do not have a Passport but I do not understand why the mounts had to be installed so far apart. As I mentioned in a previous comment, the Hobie install video does not show this. The mounts are lined up with the center rod extending slightly beyond each mount before drilling the holes.

Possible solutions:

1. Fill the existing holes and install the mounts further inboard if possible.
2. Replace the center rod with one slightly longer but of the same diameter and thickness. Will need to drill all the tab holes.
3. Cut the rod at center and extend it using a dowel inside or appropriate diameter outer pipe.

Given the varying kayak widths and ama mounting locations and limitations, it might better to include both short and long center rods in the Sidekick ama kit. Or maybe a 2-piece center rod with adjustable length.

Peter