Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie Mirage Passport 12' kayak and am trying to figure out how to launch the 75 lb kayak by myself. I am 66 yrs old and do not have much strength these days. I store it upside down as recommended on a platform next to the water, but am unable to turn it over by myself to put it in the water. Any recommendations such as using straps to hook around it to turn it over, build something out of PVC pipe to flip it, etc.? Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

don't know how much YouTubing you have done on issue, but I found lots of videos showing pivoting on bow with a bath mat a good idea for transport. Not sure if this would work in your situation. This is a good visual example of what can be done (even tho he is younger and stronger than I) : under title COMO EU CARREGO UM CAIAQUE GRANDE E PESADO by traira no caiaque on YouTube.
Also a little unsure of your setup. I have seen posted, especially if properly supported, that a passport can rest on its hull but only for short amounts of time. You also might have a little more luck posting on the open kayak forum with maybe a few more details on storage setup. Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not super-strong either, so I appreciate your question. I have found that the boat is much easier to move around when it is totally empty. I don’t add the seat, paddle, or eclipse drive until the boat is practically in the water. If you don’t lift the boat, but just tilt it up on to its side, then walk around it to let it down as gently as possible, would that work for you? You could even have something like a plastic milk crate available to prop it on when you get it halfway up.

My other idea would be to leave wheels on it and store and store it under a tarp on your platform. My wheels have helped me manage mine! (You still have to be able to roll it on its side to pull the wheels out, but it can be done with practice. Everything takes longer without strength, but there are ways!