Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2021 Passport 12.0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im thinking about adding the sail to it. I have done lots of sailing on Hobies and monohulls. Is it possible to use the sail without a furling
system on it. Is it possible to let it luff in the wind and then roll it up on the mast by hand. Not sure if I want to have the extra ropes running around
on the deck for a furling system. Can you roll it up and put a small bungee around it while you sit and fish and paddle around. When its time to head home
roll it out.

Post subject: Re: 2021 Passport 12.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

For sure! the furler is not required.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added the furler but ran the lines a little different but it works great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Hobie furler kit is the way to go.
Its a continuous loop setup with knob pulls. It can be mounted on either port or starboard based on your personal preference. (Just follow the video for the placement and install procedure)
Keep in mind on the passport install... is to realign the furling line (Rope) knobs at their furthest distance apart from each other when the sail is either completely furled, or completely unfurled on the installed plastic mast spool. In other words... both knobs should be resting at their Max positions on opposite ends of each other on the bungeed rope line. If the knots/knobs are not at their max distance... Just undue the single knot and reposition the knotted plastic ball to the max distance between the ring and the installed fairlead. In my case. I moved the knot/ball 13" from its original tie position in order to obtain the max travel pull distance for both the furl and unfurl positions on my set up. Since this furler kit is a one size fits all, you will have to make this major adjustment base on your install.

Enjoy the water
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We sailed a bunch before installing the furler. I added some sports friction tape to the mast below the sail to make it easy to grip and turn while luffed. The sail is not very big and you can wrap it up pretty quick, a few seconds. The next problem is how to keep it furled when you let go. I made a small double loop of bungee cord that would rest on the kayak around the mast base and just pushed it up over the furled sail to keep it all in place.

Furler or not, using some teflon spray will let the mast turn more easily in the holder. I also made a small teflon disk to insert in the mast holder for the bottom of the mast to rest on.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62747

Peter